Position: Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development
Location: Artscape head office opening at 130 Queens Quay East, Toronto
Start Date: As soon as mutually convenient
Application Deadline: Applications reviewed on an ongoing basis. Posting closes Monday, December 3nd.
Candidats qui préfèrent recevoir cette poste en version française sont invités à contacter firstname.lastname@example.org
Artscape is currently recruiting for a Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development to lead all facets of our growing organization’s human capital strategies, with a focus on building and retaining an engaged and inclusive workforce.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca
Over the past ten years, Artscape has seen steady growth in full-time and part-time staff in line with the development and operation of 11 projects. With the opening of three projects in the next six months, the organization will experience an approximately 25% increase in staff. On November 1, 2018, Artscape opened Artscape Daniels Launchpad, a membership-based creative entrepreneurship hub, located on the Waterfront that is also be home to our organization’s new head office.
Over the past 18 months, Artscape has worked to establish new Human Resources policies and systems to create a foundation for building organizational resilience, a pillar of Artscape 5.0, our 2018-2023 strategic plan; recent milestones include a revamp of the Human Resources Manual; new procedures for recruitment and orientation; launch of a Performance Management Plan; roll-out and quality training on Respect in the Workplace; and strengthened systems for compliance for health and safety, accessibility and employment standards.
The new Director will join at a dynamic and fast-paced moment, leading our human resources to support over 200 employees, including full-time, part-time and union stagehands from IATSE 58. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer the successful candidate will share a passion for our values and mission, be a seasoned practitioner with a breadth of HR know-how, and have the experience and desire to steward a workplace where employees and volunteers thrive. A strong candidate will be fueled by the opportunity to participate in a senior team responsible for ensuring that Artscape social enterprises and programs create positive change across Toronto and beyond.
- Strategic lead for all facets of Artscape’s human resources functions including employee relations; performance management; human resources policies and guidelines; employment lifecycle; compensation & benefits; training and professional development that promotes employee engagement and change management principles
- Provides guidance, counsel, coaching on all complex employee and labour relations issues, producing recommendations and outcomes which support organizational goals, streamline costs and reduce risk across the organization
- With senior leadership, develops and implements a diversity and inclusion strategy that supports Artscape to recruit, grow and retain a top-notch, multicultural workforce.
- Through regular meetings with the CEO and COO, advises on HR matters, including using dashboards and metrics to track HR and professional development impact; supports reporting to the board, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Guides the design and implementation of a job competency model and compensation policy to support organizational goals for consistency, fairness, inclusion and opportunity.
- Shapes and oversees a comprehensive performance management program for all staff centered on goal setting, measurable outcomes, deliverables and key performance indicators.
- Creates and oversees onboarding and continuous learning strategies that ensures that all employees are welcomed, connected to peers, conversant with the organizations history and mandate, and equipped with practical and professional tools and opportunities.
- Develops strategies, policies and approaches to foster healthy workplace culture for all full and part-time employees. Supports annual survey of employee and volunteer engagement
- Engages and collaborates with external programming partners, post-Secondary Institutions, and professional networks for internships, recruitment and partnerships that support career development..
- Responsible for ensuring Artscape’s workplace welcomes, supports and accommodates people of all abilities.
- Educates, informs and trains people managers to coach and supervise employees to achieve their potential while ensuring high levels of service to Artscape tenants, owners, members and clients.
- With Director of Finance and Administration, identifies and implements use of third-party services, technology systems and staffing to support HR management and administration; supports Finance department to have accurate payroll and leave information.
- Supervises and mentors direct reports, currently consisting of 1-2 Human Resource interns.
- A Master’s level university degree in a relevant field such as Human Resources Management or Business Administration, or substantial equivalent professional experience with demonstrated impact
- Must possess Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 7 years’ management experience that blends traditional human resources management with innovation in organizational development and systems improvement
- Demonstrated passion for our vision, mission and values
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing workforce plans for start-up and growing organizations
- Experience in non-profits required. Knowledge of, or experience in, social enterprises highly desirable
- Experience negotiating and ensuring compliance with collective agreements
- Exceptional project management and planning skills including the ability to foresee potential risk and make recommendations.
- Exceptional human resources management skills including administration and record-keeping, reporting and data analysis
- Ability to facilitate conversations, training and activities that support employee participation in organizational change.
- Demonstrated ability to execute, monitor and evaluate implementation of human resources tools and policies across diverse teams and departments
- HRIS and systems/other database management is highly desirable; proficiency in all facets of Microsoft Office essential.
- Ability to navigate providing strategic direction with ensuring progress and problem-solving on the day to day.
- Demonstrates sound judgment with impeccable attention to confidentiality and sensitive matters.
- Flexibility and comfort with rapid change and growth
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street
Toronto, ON M6K 3P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
All email submissions will receive a message confirming receipt. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.