Job Title: Assistant Manager, Galleries & Exhibitions
Position Type: Full time
Department: Artscape Performance and Event Venues (APEV) & Programs
Reporting to: Director, APEV & Programs
Direct Reports: Occasional interns or student placements
Location: Daniels Spectrum, with travel across the portfolio, mainly to Artscape Youngplace and Artscape Weston Common
Start Date: January 28, 2019
Reporting to the Director APEV & Programs, and working closely with the Hub Managers at Artscape’s Community Cultural Hubs, the Assistant Manager, Galleries and Exhibitions acts as the front line contact for the coordination of gallery exhibitions across the Artscape portfolio, with a focus on exhibitions at Daniels Spectrum, Artscape Youngplace and Artscape Weston Common. This role executes pre-approved workback plans within pre-approved budgets for programs and exhibits, ensures clients and artists receive timely and excellent customer service and administrative support. The Assistant Manager’s role is central to Artscape’s strategic priority to Cultivate Thriving Communities.
- With guidance from the Director, Artscape Performance and Event Venues & Programs (APEV) and the Hub Manager, develops and executes annual gallery exhibit workback plan(s), coordinating with artists, vendors, and other stakeholders to install and strike exhibits ; administering contracts and ensuring all documentation is received prior to established timelines; prepares and processes payments
- Working in a cross-functional team across the portfolio, responsible for the regular review and maintenance of a Hallway Galleries policies and procedures handbook for Artscape Galleries
- Manage special and recurring partnerships with tenants, community partners and arts-based institutions that increase cultural offerings at Daniels Spectrum, Artscape Weston Common and Artscape Youngplace
- Monitors budgets, timelines, revenue goals and executes outreach strategies for Hallway Galleries that have been approved by the Director, APEV and the Toronto Artscape Foundation Board
- Where applicable works with artists to create exhibition briefs for potential exhibits as the basis for planning and potential approval by a programming committee.
- Where applicable, identifies and coordinates opportunities for artists to exhibit their work across the Artscape portfolio and/or to extend hallways gallery programming across hubs
- Ensures timely and thorough response to inquiries related to the operation of Hallway Galleries, including requests to exhibit from artists, relationship management, administration, promotion and display of exhibitions
- Where applicable works with artists as required to prepare the content, signage and presentation of exhibits in line with hub and communication guidelines
- Uses Salesforce to create and maintain all client files, contracts and documentation in an appropriate and accountable manner
- With the support of the Manager, Community Services, assists in the development of a catalogue of Artscape owned artwork across the portfolio and artwork of Artscape Tenants, Members and Owners to help foster opportunities for artists to thrive
- Administers the safe storage and appropriate documentation of artwork, coordinates with artists to ensure artwork is received and released in a timely and respectful manner
- Assist in the development and lead the implementation of systems, processes and procedures relating to the collections management and contracts for Hallways Galleries across Artscape
- On occasion, may curate or jury exhibits for special events such as CreativeTO or Winter Island, or other Artscape events and programs
- On occasion works with Curators and/or Artists in Community to execute special programs that align with the Hallway Galleries portfolio
- Works in collaboration with the Artscape Performance and Event Venues team to coordinate logistics for programing, exhibition opening receptions, artist talks and or tours with Artscape staff (e.g. security, Venue supervisors and support staff, SOPs, tech requirements, etc.)
- Adheres to all Artscape policies, procedures and processes to ensure clients and artists receive timely and excellent customer service and administrative support
- In collaboration with Artscape Communications, assist in the development and execution of marketing plans relating to programming and hallways galleries
- Help manage the preparation of funding requests and grant applications to governments, other funding agencies, individuals and corporations in relation to collections, exhibits, and programs as required
- Maintain tracking metrics and document impact of galleries, including artist participation, attendance and professional opportunities for participating artists
- Informs the continued development of the Salesforce Platform to meet the requirements of the Galleries and Exhibitions portfolios
- Minimum 3 years experience working in museum, curatorial or cultural studies or community arts field, or related field, with a combination of relevant education (e.g. visual arts, art history, museum/cultural/curatorial studies, etc.), and experience
- Demonstrated passion and commitment for Artscape’s mission and vision
- Experience in the non-for-profit, community arts and youth sectors are considered an asset
- Experience working in the Regent Park and/or Weston communities are considered a strong asset
- Ability to interact with intergenerational, cultural backgrounds and diverse populations
- Experience and success working in partnership with local residents and community organizations;
- Familiarity with Artscape community cultural hubs and surrounding neighborhoods is preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, and Design programs. Knowledge of Salesforce is an asset
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate leadership skills, team building, coaching and mentoring abilities.
- Excellent project management and administration skills
- Exercises strong relationship management and conflict management skills; strong political acuity and sound judgment when dealing with a variety of stakeholders including community members, donors, artists and colleagues
- Strong understanding of reputation risk and risk management and how to mitigate risks associated with the work and/or to escalate appropriately
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street
Toronto, ON M6K 3P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
*Interviews may be conducted throughout the posting period. However, no offers will be made until after the posting closes.