Job Title: Assistant Head Technician
Position Type: Part-Time
Department: Artscape Performance and Event Venues
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Event Operations
Direct Reports: N/A
Indirect Staff: Casual Technicians Provided by IATSE Local 58
Application Deadline: Jan. 31, 2019
Artscape is currently seeking an Assistant Head Technician, Daniels Spectrum. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Event Operations, Artscape Performance and Event Venues, and working closely with the Head Technician, the Assistant Head Technician will be a hands-on, detail-oriented individual who can successfully act as team leader, coach and communicator and thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines. Working professionally with superb customer service skills with all rental clients, patrons, Artscape staff, outside contractors and other technical employees, the Assistant Head Technician takes a leadership role, in conjunction with the Head Technician, in the installation, operation, and strikes of events, directing, mentoring and training crew members as well as maintaining, servicing, and operating the facility’s technical equipment as required.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities.
Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development.
Our success is driven by our ability to work effectively across disciplines to align values, leadership, investment and public policy. We work constantly to expand our portfolio, share our expertise and advance the field, offering training, mentoring and coaching, and learning opportunities through our Creative Placemaking Lab and tools and resources on the Artscape D.I.Y. website.
Using professional, clear and direct written and oral communication skills with all staff, clients and patrons, including the thorough documentation of event activities and issues, deescalating conflicts and troubleshooting to ensure event success
- Implementing and managing the event schedules, directing all staff and clients through the load in and set up, cueing, rehearsing, event and strike procedures, ensuring breaks are taken in accordance with the Collective Agreement
- Directing the client to safety and emergency procedures and enforcing all safety standards and protocols
- Training, orientation and direction of all casual technical employees
- Assisting and supporting other venue staff, including the Venue Supervisor and Venue Support Staff
- Ensuring adherence of Ontario Fire Code
- Ensuring adherence of Ontario Building code
- Ensuring adherence of Artscape polices, protocols and procedures
- Assist with the maintenance, organization, repair and replacement of equipment
- Participate in occasional professional training & development initiatives
- Participating in Artscape All staff meetings and other staff activities
- Demonstrating an understanding of the mandate and vision of Daniels Spectrum
- Minimum 1 year experience in an assistant head technician role
- 3+ years experience as a theatre technician
- Degree/diploma in theatre production from a post secondary institution
- AODA Customer Service Standards and other AODA training as directed
- Working at Heights
- Elevated Work Platform Certification
- CPR-C First Aid
- Customer Service training
The Assistant Head Technician requires a professional standard of knowledge to install, operate, maintain and troubleshoot the following at minimum:
Operation of consoles:
- Operation of Electronic Theatre Control’s ION lighting console, including programming cues and submasters.
- Operation of Yamaha LS9 32 sound console
- Operation of the BlackMagic Television Studio & Roland Video Switchers
- Operation of Crestron PRO2 & DM-MD16x16 matrix switcher
- Hanging pipes, projection screens, set pieces, drapery, projectors, speakers and lighting fixtures
- Knowledge of planning and implementation of properly rated drifts with aircraft cable and copper sleeves
- Knowledge and implementation of proper knots; especially the Stopper knot, the Bowline, and the Clove Hitch
- Knowledge and implementation of proper tools, swaggers and cable cutters
- Operation of DMX & Artnet Lighting, including moving lights, RGBW and generic fixtures, as well as DMX troubleshooting.
- Reading lighting plots, CAD or VectorWork drawings
- Focusing lights
- Lighting maintenance and cleaning.
- Mixing live music with multiple inputs
- Excellent knowledge of variety of microphones and suitable applications.
- Working with DJs and inputs from their equipment
- Operation of DI boxes
- Operation of playback devices including personal music devices and computer applications
- Sound equipment maintenance and cleaning
- Operation, focusing and troubleshooting of Projectors, including Christie DWU 675-E HD and the Panasonic PT DZ2570
- Changing projector lamps
- Operation of DATAVideo Converter boxes, HDMI Splitters
- Excellent understanding of cabling types and adapters
- Assisting Client with playback with an excellent understanding Qlab, Powerpoint, Isadora, Keynote, Prezi and others.
- Working knowledge of ethernet equipment, cabling and configuration
- Amperage calculations
- Power monitoring
- Power distributions
- 3 Phase power system
- Operation of ETC dimmers, including cleaning and basic maintenance
- Setting up/striking risers with proper legs, skirting and railing and stairs
- Proper operation of motorized telescopic seating unit
- Understanding of Ontario building code regarding height when railings are required
- Reading ground plans, CAD or VectorWorks Drawings
- Riser maintenance and cleaning
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 423, 130 Queens Quay East
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
All email submissions will receive a message confirming receipt. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.