Job Title: Coordinator, Technical Services
Position Type: Full-time
Department: Artscape Performance and Event Venues (APEV)
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Event Operations
Direct Reports: n/a
Indirect Staff: Unionized technicians
Application Deadline: 2019-02-10
*Interviews may be conducted throughout the posting period. However, no offers will be made until after the posting closes.
Location: Daniels Spectrum, Artscape Sandbox and Artscape Wychwood Barns with a permanent desk at Daniels Spectrum.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Event Operations, and working very closely with the APEV Sales and Logistics departments, the Coordinator, Technical Services works across the Artscape Performance and Event Venues portfolio to deliver high-quality, customer focused technical services to internal and external stakeholders, including APEV clients and colleagues.
This role is responsible for the day-to-day technical coordination for Daniels Spectrum, Artscape Sandbox and Artscape Wychwood Barns and will require movement to work onsite at multiple Artscape locations.
The Coordinator, Technical Services is the perfect role for an audio-visual technician who is looking to take their technical experience to the next level, through coordination, administration and client consultation and technical event management.
- Coordinates delivery of high-quality event technical services in line with Artscape organizational policies and provincial and federal legislation.
- Consults with and advises clients to determine and document technical requirements for events in multiple spaces, ensuring client expectations are managed in a polite and professional manner in line with organizational policies.
- Reviews event ground plans to ensure compliance with building and fire codes and health and safety policies.
- Liaises with suppliers for supplemental event equipment estimates, rentals, shipping and receiving and payments.
- Coordinates and facilitates equipment transport between venues as needed.
- Schedules technical staff in accordance with Employment Standards and Collective Agreements, ensuring that client needs are met.
- Provides direction to on-site technical staff, ensuring professional event execution and adherence to health and safety and accessibility policies.
- Supports the Assistant Manager, Event Operations with part-time staff emergencies by providing coverage after-hours and over weekends.
- Provides guidance and advice to colleagues with regards to event technical aspects and best practices.
- Coordinates day-to-day equipment maintenance ensuring inventory is functional and well-maintained.
- Reviews and provides first level approval of hours worked by part time technical staff for payroll purposes.
- Assists Senior Manager, Event Operations with the planning and development of equipment lists and long-term equipment management strategy for the portfolio.
- Assists Senior Manager, Event Operations with the development of capital replacement strategies.
- Assists the Senior Manager with implementation of technical systems within the APEV portfolio as required.
- Acts as backup to the Coordinator, Technical Education for vacation and time off.
- Passionate, collaborative team environment in an open concept office.
- Flexible work week including evenings and weekends.
- Consistent ability to interact with a wide range of temperaments and communication styles.
- 3-5 years experience as a theatre technician
- Degree/diploma in theatre production from a post secondary institution or equivalent employment experience
- Working knowledge of Ontario Building Code
- Previous experience working in a unionized environment is a strong asset
- Valid Ontario G license
- AODA Customer Service Standards and other AODA training as directed
- Working at Heights
- Elevated Work Platform Certification
- CPR-C First Aid
- Customer Service training considered an asset.
The Technical Coordinator requires a professional standard of knowledge to install, operate, maintain and troubleshoot the following at minimum:
- Various lighting fixtures, dimmers and control surfaces including common ETC consoles;
- Various sound equipment, including analog and digital consoles; appropriate speaker and microphone use, placement and best practices; playback devices.
- Common video equipment, including projectors and switchers, playback devices and software.
- Computer networking, including ethernet equipment and cabling and Wifi.
- Computer aided design systems, ie. AutoCad or Vectorworks.
- Power systems, distribution equipment, amperage calculations.
- Rigging systems and associated safety requirements and practices.
- AODA compliant staging systems including risers and drapers
- Strong customer-centric focus for guiding clients with various degrees of technical knowledge to deliver the highest quality event possible.
- Ability to explain complex technical requirements into plain language for clients and stakeholders.
- Exercises good judgment and demonstrated understanding of health and safety standards.
- Ability to diffuse conflict while working in a fast-paced event environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of equity and inclusion in the diverse communities that Artscape serves.
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 423, 130 Queens Quay East
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca