Position Title: Garden and Maintenance Coordinator
Job Type: Contract Part-time
Reporting to: Building Operator
Location: Artscape Gibraltar Point
Application Deadline: March 27, 2019
The Gardener and Maintenance Coordinator helps facilitate our Garden Program; planting, maintaining and harvesting all the delicious fruits and vegetables we grow during the summer months to feed residents and the island community. They are also responsible for general grounds keeping and working with the facilities team on a variety of exterior maintenance projects.
- Maintains and cultivates vegetable gardens, flowers, shrubs, composting and grounds
- Organizes watering schedule for outdoor and indoor plants, including the grass in particular spots around the building
- Researches on best practices and products associated to the garden
- Responsible for a variety of grounds keeping duties including mowing the lawn, raking leaves, and trimming bushes
- Gives tours of the garden and assists in community outreach and volunteer days
- Works with the Building Operator on a variety of small exterior maintenance projects: painting, irrigation repair, siding repair, window cleaning etc.
- Understands the mandate and aims of programming in the building as well as Artscape’s overall mission and mandate, and reflects these elements in interactions with all users and clients
- 2-3 years experience in urban organic vegetable farming
- 2-3 years of landscaping and flower cultivation experience
- Community engagement and outreach experience an asset
- Some background in building maintenance with competency in a variety of tools
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with diverse communities of people and resolve conflict when necessary
- Professional appearance and demeanor, positive and proactive attitude, demonstrates the following qualities: flexibility, dependability, high level of team orientation and service orientation.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Works well in a fast paced environment
- Health and Safety Training an asset: first aid, AODA, Worker Health and Safety in 4 Steps.
- Good time management, office administration and organizational skills
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 423, 130 Queens Quay East
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
All email submissions will receive a message confirming receipt. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca