Job Title: Communications Manager
Position Type: Full-Time
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reporting to: Director, Marketing & Communications
Direct Reports: None
Indirect Staff: Monitors communications efforts across all Artscape communications channels and provides related guidance and support to local Artscape hub staff
Start Date: May 20, 2019
Application Deadline: 2019-05-05
Location: Head Office
Artscape is currently seeking a Communications Manager to join our Marketing and Communications team to actively build profile and awareness of our Toronto-based, not-for-profit urban development organization, which is focused on making space for creativity and transforming communities.
As Artscape’s primary storyteller, the Communications Manager plays a central role in building the profile and awareness of Artscape and its mission to make space for creativity and transform communities.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Communications Manager will develop, manage and implement proactive communications plans and strategies that advance the concrete goals of Artscape’s ambitious Strategic Plan: Artscape 5.0. S/he will be responsible for developing, integrating and applying multi-pronged communications tools that encompass PR, media relations, storytelling content development, external and internal communications, crisis communications and thought leadership.
This role reports to the Director, Marketing and Communications and frequently interacts with all staff teams as a service agency for all departments, as well as with other key internal and external stakeholders.
This position is ideal for a highly motivated, multitasker with strong writing/editing ability and PR savvy, who knows their way around WordPress, Mailchimp, Meltwater media and social platforms, as well as enjoys a fast paced, hands-on, dynamic environment requiring interaction with multiple stakeholders across different lines of business.
The Communications Manager is responsible for the day-to-day execution of Artscape communications through the creation of print and digital communications and marketing materials including external and internal e-newsletters, blogs, annual reports and brochures:
External Communications, Media Relations and Storytelling
- Develops, writes, as necessary and publishes stories and content across a range of print materials, digital and social channels (web, e-newsletters, blogs, social). Ensures integration of storytelling content across all communications channels
- Proactively cultivates and manages media relations, developing relevant, timely story ideas and media strategies that result in coverage and achieve organizational objectives:
- builds and expands media contacts
- maintains positive media and social media influencer relationships
- responds to all media inquiries, coordinating internal resources to develop and broadcast strategic messaging and preparing key spokespeople with media briefings
- Monitors and shares daily media mentions, alerting senior management to public relations issues. In close coordination with the Director, Marketing & communications and other senior staff, strategizes appropriate responses and ensures timely action.
- With the Director and senior leaders, identifies communications that support advocacy efforts and thought leadership around improving the conditions for artists to thrive and advancing policies, knowledge and opportunities to mainstream creative placemaking
- Writes, copy edits and proofs all communications documents and materials; writes and distributes press releases, factsheets, e-newsletters, key messaging documents, official letters and speaking notes
- Ensures regular content audits of all digital properties, including websites, e-newsletters and blogs, for brand compliance and applies content & image updates as required
Internal Communications and Capacity-Building
- Serves as Communications steward and facilitator to staff by developing organizational key messages, storytelling approaches and using data to ensure targeted, on-brand, effective and compliant communications.
- Develops communications KPIs and monitors, measures and evaluates communications outreach efforts, producing high-level quarterly and annual reports on the impact of communications and public relations activities
- Develops/maintains internal communications tools, such as newsletters and bulletins, that support employee engagement and change management across the organization.
- Manages relationships with photographers and other creative and technical vendors, as required
- Ensures CASL compliance on all email marketing, and updates communications management tools as required to stay abreast of communications trends and compliance
- Contributes to budget planning and other organizational planning and initiatives, as required
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or similar, or the equivalent mix of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in strategic communications, or communications and parallel discipline(s)
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to Artscape’s mission and values.
- Superior creative and professional writing and content development abilities
- Knowledge and experience with storytelling and its ability to positively impact organizations and the people they serve. Experience with video storytelling an asset
- Ability to thrive in a high paced environment and manage multiple priorities
- Experienced writer/editor; with strong familiarity with proofreading, copy editing standards and procedures (CP style)
- Excellent knowledge of media, influencers and public relations practices with industry-related contacts and proven track record of success in generating publicity
- Experience collaborating across an organization with multiple departments and business lines
- Strong organizational skills and communications project management experience to ensure projects are completed on time, on brief and on budget
- Experience effectively managing print and digital production processes
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel; Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Bridge are essential
- Proven skills in management of email marketing lists and execution of email campaigns using MailChimp, Survey Gizmo, EventBrite (or similar platforms)
- Knowledge of design, branding, brand development and marketing processes an asset
- Knowledge of plain language guidelines, privacy legislation, accessibility legislation and guidelines for print, web, signage
- Strong understanding of trends and developments in digital communications technologies including web hosting and use of social media and analytical tools such as Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Meltwater platforms
- Experience with website back-end content management and development platforms (WordPress or other platforms)
- Detail oriented, highly proficient multitasker with superior organizational and time management skills to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- fast learner, with an interest in learning new skills and applications for those skills
- Creative thinker who thrives in an entrepreneurial and collaborative work environment
- Highly self-motivated self-starter
- Strong ‘can do’ work ethic, with the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Confident and clear written and verbal communicator with strong listening skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Professional, polished manner
- Passionate about supporting arts and artists in Canada
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
130 Queens Quay East, Suite #423
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca