Building Operator, Artscape Residential Facilities
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Primarily: Artscape Bayside Lofts, Artscape Daniels Launchpad, Artscape Distillery Studios
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: May 24, 2019 at 12:00pm. Qualified candidates will be interviewed upon receipt of application; however no decision will be made until after the application deadline.
Reporting to the Director of Facilities, the Building Operator will maintain the building and grounds for various Artscape residential properties. The Building Operator is based at the Artscape Bayside Lofts location, but will attend other locations mainly in the Lower East Side Core Neighbourhood. From time to time s/he might also undertake or assist with maintenance duties at other Artscape buildings. The work schedule may vary and may include weekends and/or evenings. The Building Operator will be required to be on-call. Unscheduled hours are paid with time off in lieu.
- Maintain the property in a consistently safe, clean and attractive condition.
- Provide access and guidance to contractors engaged in inspections, repairs, maintenance and capital improvements.
- Supervise the work of contracted cleaning services.
- Monitor and program building systems and inspect infrastructure systems, interiors and envelopes.
- Prepare and maintain building operations manuals, preventative maintenance schedules and work logs.
- Coordinate maintenance requests from owners and tenants.
- Report problems to the Director of Facilities.
- Maintain professional and cordial relationships with owners, tenants and members of the public.
- Maintain professional relationships with long term and occasional service providers under contract with Artscape.
- Occasional housekeeping duties.
- Provide occasional support for after-hours building emergencies.
- Conduct regularly scheduled fire safety alarm testing and drills.
- Assist other maintenance staff in larger maintenance repairs.
- Provide grounds maintenance around the buildings; sweeping/collecting garbage, all paths, parking areas and snow clearing (unless some or all of these services are provided by a contractor).
- Limited painting, drywall, electrical and plumbing repair.
- Maintain Artscape tools in good order.
- Put out garbage/recycling for collection.
- Assist other Artscape departments with set-up, load-in, load-out, furniture assembly.
- Train other Artscape staff.
- General troubleshooting.
- Experience and facility in a variety of hands-on property maintenance and construction skills including carpentry, plumbing, electrical wiring, roofing, flooring, framing, trim work, drywall, taping, painting and yard work is essential.
- An understanding of modern building systems and automation is essential.
- An understanding of institutional housekeeping and cleaning.
- Familiarity with current health and safety practices and requirements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems.
- Experience in the non-profit sector, a background in arts and culture, and/or familiarity with Toronto’s arts community is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with green building and operation strategies is an asset.
- Class G driver’s license is an asset.
- Heavy lifting may be required on occasion.
- Relevant training includes WHIMIS, MOL, AODA, First Aid, and De-escalation training.
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
130 Queens Quay East, Suite #423
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca