Position Title: Assistant Manager, Community Outreach & Events
Position Type: Full-time, 1 year contract
Reporting to: Hub Manager, Artscape Weston Common & Artscape Youngplace
Department: Hub Services
Indirect Reports: Concierge
Application Deadline: July 12, 2019
The Assistant Manager will actively develop and implement outreach strategies and event services for Artscape Weston Common, with a particular focus on supporting event logistics for community groups, non profits and local arts organizations ensuring they have access to performance, event and meeting spaces in Artscape Weston Common hub to collaborate, create, perform and showcase their work. . S/he will become an expert on Artscape Weston Common, the neighborhood and develop positive and professional relationships with the programming partners, live/work tenants, school groups and community members in and around the hub. This position will work in tandem with the Artscape Performance and Event Venue (APEV) team and report into the Hub Manager of Artscape Weston Common. The selected candidate will have experience in communications, arts and cultural administration, people management and event planning. This is a full-time position working 37.5 hours per week. The work schedule may vary and will include weekends and evenings for event and program supervision.
About Artscape Weston Common:
Artscape Weston Common is Artscape’s newest community cultural hub, located in the heart of the Weston-Mount Dennis community. Artscape Weston Common is a collaborative venture, jointly envisioned with the Weston-Mount Dennis community, the City of Toronto and the Rockport Group. This project is Artscape’s first creative placemaking project outside of Toronto’s downtown core — creative placemaking is the practice of leveraging art and culture as a catalyst for urban and community development. As part of the project vision, Artscape Weston Common also provides homes for 26 artists and artist-led families, who live and work in affordable units adjacent to the hub, made possible through a partnership with the City of Toronto. Artscape operates the hub with its programming partners, UrbanArts and Shakespeare in Action, who bring the hub to life daily, inviting the community in to participate in programming and events. To learn more, visit https://www.artscapeweston.ca/.
- Actively develops and implements outreach strategies for community, programming partners and tenant engagement, working in collaboration with Hub Services and APEV team to introduce community members who are unaware or not currently accessing the space and resources.
- Main point of contact for the Community Access Program for Artscape Weston Common and responsible, in liaison with the Hub Manager for all events and programming supported by the fund.
- Drive a successful application process for the community access program submissions to the Community Access Advisory Committee.
- Works closely with the Hub Manager to support and foster collaborative community partnership opportunities and raise awareness around Artscape Weston Common.
- Maintains community access program, ensuring community members work within the policy and procedures of program and receive full subsidy benefits.
- Manage special partnerships and programming commitments, ensuring programs are executed and all appropriate reporting for the Community Access Program.
- Is responsible for the implementation of venue marketing and outreach strategies for existing and potential clients and community groups in collaboration with the APEV Marketing and/or Artscape Marketing and Communication teams.
- In collaboration with the Artscape team, tenants, programming partners and appropriate stakeholders, coordinate venue related logistics for events as directed by the Hub Manager and Artscape Performance and Event Venue team.
- Responsible for all event contracting, payment processing, reconciliation, and reporting; maintaining program spaces and equipment, systems, databases and tools, including key card distribution for clients.
- Manages inquiries and coordinating tours of spaces to a myriad of stakeholders, accurately describing the sites history, Artscape’s role in its development, along with the current usage as a community cultural hub.
- Responsible for logistical and administrative duties related to Artscape Weston Common programming, community outreach, event marketing and promotion, including coordinating deliveries, allocating equipment and setting up furniture; supervising volunteers, coordinating food and beverage services and supporting artistic activitie
- At times supports logistics for hallway gallery bookings, staffing and receptions.
- Share knowledge and understanding of Artscape Weston Common programing partners’ activities, services, and the surrounding community with visitors; updating the website, social media and onsite signage.
- Responsible for coordinating post-event and program analysis, and summarizing participant feedback, identifying and implementing (with approval) program improvements.
- Manages client expectations as main point of contact during the event planning process including: assessing the needs of clients and exercising good judgement to make appropriate recommendations for event setups; meeting and communicating with clients throughout the event planning process.
- Prepares cost effective and thoughtful event estimates, event briefings and part-time staff scheduling in a timely manner, in line with event requirements and equipment resources, in collaboration with the Hub Manager and Events team.
- Lead weekly calendar meetings, to clearly communicate event and programming logistics and troubleshoot issues proactively with the applicable to the onsite team, including members of other departments.
- Maintain ongoing communication and coordination with tenants, partners, members, clients and guests in a friendly and professional manner, demonstrating a collaborative spirit; work closely with staff to troubleshoot, manage and minimize event services impact on members, tenants, neighbours and other related stakeholders.
- Acts as the first point of escalation for feedback from clients or stakeholders about event related issues and/or concerns; uses appropriate judgment to mitigate risk and to escalate issues to Senior Management and ensure health and safety guidelines are followed by direct reports, clients and caterers.
- Supervise and delegate tasks to concierge staff, venue supervisors, students and volunteers.
- Supervise, direct, and coordinate the activities of vendors, personnel and subcontractors, as required.
- Under the guidance of the Hub Manager and in collaboration with the APEV team, conduct and inform performance reviews, inform hiring and disciplinary actions and support part time staff training.
- Prepare and supply clients (and suppliers and vendors where relevant) with event documents and packages in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and prepare event briefings, weekly calendar meetings, notes for onsite concierge and event staff
- Reconcile reporting as required for invoicing, SOCAN, Fund Development, and other reporting as required
- Act as Venue Supervisor or Venue Support Staff on an ad-hoc basis as required.
- Act as a positive and professional representative for Artscape
- This role may require flexible hours to accommodate event and/or client requirements.
- Occasional administrative support as it relates to community events and outreach at other Artscape community cultural hubs, ie Daniels Spectrum
- At least (2) two years experience in event and/or production coordination, preferably with a non-profit performing arts organization that caters to diverse client and event types
- Minimum post-secondary certificate/diploma/degree in event management, administration, production or equivalent experience
- A passion for Artscape’s mission and values to create space for creativity and transform communities.
- Committed and interested in working with a diverse customers and partners ranging from grassroots arts organizations, individual wedding organizers to professional event producers.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with an ability to priortize mutliple, competing deliverables
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with proven exceptional client management skills
- Experience using Salesforce a strong asset
- Smartserve Certification and familiarity with food handling/catering requirements, production/technical/equipment needs, and industry best practices are considered an asset
- Thorough understanding of inclusion and accessibility and the mandate of a community cultural hub
- Demonstrated strength in fostering diversity, equity and inclusion in community building and programming
- Ability to collaborate and embrace a diversity of needs in a shared facility
- Communications: proven ability to connect with the community, clients and stakeholders and establish positive and productive ongoing relationships and high customer service levels
- Knowledge of and established networks in the community is essential
- Familiarity with Weston-Mount Dennis a strong asset
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
130 Queens Quay East, Suite #423
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca