Position Title: Senior Accountant
Position Type: Full-time
Reporting to: Controller
Department: Finance and Administration
Application Deadline: July 12, 2019
The Senior Accountant, under the direction of the Controller, completes day-to-day payroll and accounting activities as required by the finance team.
Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the monthly, quarterly and year-end close for multiple legal entities.
- Prepare variance analysis reports to senior management.
- Record recurring and adjusting journal entries as needed.
- Prepare/update audit working papers for select balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Provide expertise and guidance in overseeing the issuance of income tax receipts in compliance with Canada Revenue Agency requirements.
- Monitor cash flows for multiple legal entities and suggests payment requirements.
- Support finance team with fixed assets, account reconciliations, billing, variance analysis and other accounting activities.
- Collaborate with all departments routinely to identity process deficiencies and work towards implementing improvements.
- Liaison with the auditors to file Annual not-for profit information return, T2 and T3010.
- Prepare WSIB, EHT and group benefits remittances.
- Ability and desire to step into any required special HR/Accounting/Systems projects.
- Complete other tasks as requested.
- Responsible for accurate processing of Semi-Monthly payrolls through ADP Workforce Now.
- Calculates retro pay, sick time, vacation pay, statutory holiday pay and special payments.
- Update pay increases and deductions routinely, and communicate with the HR team regarding all company-wide changes e.g. (New Hires, Terminations, Status Changes, Parental Leave, Bereavement and any other areas covered per employment agreements.)
- Review all computed wages by reviewing payroll registers, exception reports, and correct errors prior to payroll processing.
- Investigates and resolves any discrepancies in payroll by liaising with ADP to provide solutions and implement procedures that mitigate future risks and errors.
- Create and maintain all validation tables and cost allocations in the ADP system
- Import employee taxable benefits, payroll journals and lieu time periodically
- Solid understanding, interpretation and application of all provincial employment standards Legislation, as well as Artscape Human Resource Policies and Collective Agreements
- Apply pay polices for union staff working under collective agreements
- Implements year end procedures including the reconciliation of all government remittances, T4s, T4As and completion of EHT and WCB annual returns
- Complete other tasks as requested
- Bachelors level university degree in a relevant field such as Business or substantial equivalent professional experience with demonstrated impact.
- Enrolled in the CPA program with near completion.
- 3+ years’ experience with full-cycle accounting in a computerized accounting environment and use of Sage ERP or equivalent system.
- Knowledge of payroll ADP workforce now.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to meet frequent deadlines
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Applications considered a strong asset
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
130 Queens Quay East, Suite #423
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca