Position: House Technician
Position Type: Part-Time, Hourly
Location: Artscape Sandbox, 301 Adelaide St. West, Toronto
Application Deadline: July 17, 2019
Artscape is currently seeking a House Technician at Artscape Sandbox. Reporting to the Director, Event Operations, and working closely with the Technical Services Coordinator and Events Coordinator, the House Technician will be a hands-on, detail-oriented individual who can successfully act as team leader, coach, and communicator and thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines. Working professionally with superb customer service skills with all rental clients, patrons, Artscape staff, outside contractors and other technical employees, the House Technician will take a leadership role in the installation, operation, and strikes of events, directing, mentoring and training casual crew members as well as maintaining, servicing and operating the facility’s technical equipment as required.
The House Technician will work alongside other House Technicians, with a shared pool of a minimum 1000 hours per annum.
- Use professional, clear and direct written and oral communication skills with all staff, clients and patrons, including the thorough documentation of event activities and issues, deescalating conflicts and troubleshooting to ensure event success.
- Implement and manage the event schedules, directing all staff and clients through the load in and set up, cueing, rehearsing, event and strike procedures, ensuring breaks are taken in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
- Direct clients to correct safety and emergency procedures and enforce all safety standards and protocols.
- May be required to assist with training, orientation and direction of all casual technical employees.
- Assist and support other venue staff, including the Venue Supervisor and Venue Support Staff.
- Ensure adherence of Ontario Fire Code
- Ensure adherence of Ontario Building code
- Ensure adherence of Artscape policies, protocols and procedures.
- Assist with the maintenance, organization, repair and replacement of equipment.
- Participate in occasional professional training & development initiatives.
- Participate in Artscape All staff meetings and other staff activities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mandate and vision of Artscape
The Ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- 2+ years of experience as a theatre technician
- Degree/diploma in theatre production from a post secondary institution
- AODA Customer Service Standards and other AODA training as directed
- Working at Heights
- Elevated Work Platform Certification
- CPR-C First Aid
- Customer Service training
The House Technician requires a professional standard of knowledge to install, operate, maintain and troubleshoot the following at minimum:
Operation of consoles:
- Operation of Electronic Theatre Control’s Element lighting console, including programming cues and submasters.
- Operation of Behringer X32 sound console
- Operation of the BlackMagic ATEM Television Studio video switcher
- Operation of Apple (MacOS) and Windows computers for sound and video playback
- Hanging pipes, projection screens, set pieces, drapery, projectors, speakers and lighting fixtures
- Knowledge of planning and implementation of properly rated drifts with aircraft cable and copper sleeves
- Knowledge and implementation of proper knots; especially the Stopper knot, the Bowline, and the Clove Hitch
- Knowledge and implementation of proper tools, swaggers and cable cutters
- Operation of DMX & Artnet Lighting, including moving lights, RGBW and generic fixtures, as well as DMX troubleshooting.
- Reading lighting plots, CAD and VectorWorks drawings
- Focusing lights
- Lighting maintenance and cleaning.
- Mixing live music with multiple inputs
- Excellent knowledge of variety of microphones and suitable applications.
- Working with DJs and inputs from their equipment
- Operation of DI boxes
- Operation of playback devices including personal music devices and computer applications
- Sound equipment maintenance and cleaning
- Operation, focusing and troubleshooting of Projectors, including the Sony VPL-FHZ 65 and the Panasonic PT-VX420
- Changing projector lamps
- Operation of DATAVideo Converter boxes, HDMI Splitters
- Excellent understanding of cabling types and adapters
- Assisting Client with playback with an excellent understanding Qlab 4, Powerpoint, Isadora, Keynote, Prezi and others.
- Working knowledge of ethernet equipment, cabling and configuration
- Amperage calculations
- Power monitoring
- Power distributions
- 3 Phase power system
- Operation of ETC dimmers, including cleaning and basic maintenance
- Setting up/striking risers with proper legs, skirting and railing and stairs
- Understanding of Ontario building code regarding height when railings are required
- Reading ground plans, CAD and VectorWorks Drawings
- Riser maintenance and cleaning
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities.
Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development.
Our success is driven by our ability to work effectively across disciplines to align values, leadership, investment and public policy. We work constantly to expand our portfolio, share our expertise and advance the field, offering training, mentoring and coaching, and learning opportunities through our Creative Placemaking Lab and tools and resources on the Artscape D.I.Y. website. www.artscape.ca.
ABOUT ARTSCAPE SANDBOX
Artscape Sandbox is a not-for-profit community performance and event space in Toronto’s Entertainment District. The space invites and allows for flexible creative possibility and personalization, with modest technical supports. Sandbox is available to community members to rent for artistic creation and performance, for social gatherings and professional meetings. Run as a social enterprise without any operational subsidy, Sandbox operates with a sliding scale rental model that allows for a wide range of artists, community members, grassroots groups and small organizations to access to the space at significant savings.
Artscape has a covenant with the capital project’s funders and donors to operate Artscape Sandbox in a community-oriented and accessible manner, placing the highest priority on affordable access, flexibility and support for members of the surrounding community, non-professional artists and arts organizations, and other arts groups from across the city.
The primary event space at Artscape Sandbox is a flexible, 4,000 square foot room that can be configured into a proscenium configuration with 82 seats. Artscape rents to a wide range of clients, many of whom are organizing activities for the first time, and the majority at a heavy subsidy.
ABOUT I.A.T.S.E. LOCAL 58
Local 58 is the Toronto local of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of the United States, its territories and Canada. AFL-CIO, CLC For more than 100 years IATSE Local 58 has provided professional staging services to the Toronto entertainment, convention, and trade show industries. Local 58 members work at venues like The Air Canada Centre, Massey Hall, Young People’s Theatre Exhibition Place, The Royal Alexandra Theatre, The Sony Centre, Daniels Spectrum, Roy Thomson Hall and The Young Centre for the Performing Arts. And we’ve been behind the scenes at spectacular shows such as Lord of the Ring, Billy Elliot, Jersey Boys, The Lion King, Mamma Mia and Hairspray. We have a wealth of experience in set construction, sound systems and lighting requirements of all specifications.
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
130 Queens Quay East, Suite 423
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.