Custodian, Artscape Wychwood Barns
Position Type: Part-time, casual, evenings and weekends
Location: Artscape Wychwood Barns
Start Date: ASAP
Reporting to: Building Operator
Application Deadline: September 13, 2019
Artscape believes that thriving artists help build thriving communities. Our projects cluster creative people together in facilities that are designed to help them thrive while creating additional positive cultural, social, economic and environmental outcomes for the communities in which they’re located. Their development is rooted in a practice called creative placemaking, which leverages art and culture to build vibrant, sustainable, prosperous and inclusive communities.
Artscape’s diverse portfolio includes community cultural hubs, affordable rental and ownership housing, and performance and rehearsal spaces. Our approach to sustainability includes balancing affordable rents with earned income through social enterprises including events venue rentals.
The Artscape Wychwood Barns is a community cultural hub in Toronto’s Wychwood neighbourhood. It includes spaces for 26 artist live/work studios, 15 artist work studios, 9 non-profit arts and environmental organizations and a 7,680 square-foot event venue in Barn 2.
Artscape Wychwood Barns is looking for a reliable Custodian, who is able to multi-task, ensuring a clean and safe working environment.
- Ensures a high standard of cleanliness in the public and event spaces of the buildings
- Sweeps/vacuums and mops/machine washes floors, stairs and elevators
- Dusts/cleans/disinfects washrooms, kitchenettes, railings, counters, doors, walls, windows, mirrors, linen laundering, infrastructure and other common areas, select studio spaces
- Dusts and maintains art and art display surfaces
- Select grounds‐keeping and exterior garbage removal
- Removal of garbage and other waste materials and preparation of bins for pick‐up
- Pre‐ and post‐event cleaning, including waste removal, floor and surface cleaning and ensuring clients have removed all of their materials at appropriate times
- Keeps a thorough written daily log of all shifts, product use, incidents and suggestions for improving the health, safety and cleanliness in and around the buildings
- Organizes and requests reorders of cleaning products and consumables
- Light painting and patching; assisting with small repairs
- Maintains professional, cordial relationships with tenants and members of the public
- As a member of the Artscape team, understands the mandate and aims of programming in the building and Artscape’s mission and mandate, and reflects these elements in interaction with users and clients
- Assists other Artscape staff when an extra hand is needed
- Three years’ experience as a professional cleaner / custodian / janitor
- Passion for cleanliness, order, organization and maintaining a beautiful space
- WHMIS and Workplace Safety Training is an asset
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment
- Ability to prioritize, solve problems, and take initiative
- Ability to work in a busy public environment
- Experience in the non‐profit sector, an interest in arts and culture, and a familiarity with Toronto’s arts community are all considered assets
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, night shifts and/or split shifts
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 423, 130 Queens Quay East
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca