Position Title: Hub Manager
Position Type: Full -Time
Reporting to: Director of Hub Services
Direct Reports: 6
Department: Hub Services
Start Date: Early October
Location: Artscape Youngplace, extended support to Artscape Weston Common
Reporting to the Director of Hub Services, The Hub Manager of Artscape Youngplace and Artscape Weston Common is responsible for the day to day management and implementation of community and tenant engagement, to achieve our strategic commitment of building strong and vibrant neighborhoods at our community culture hubs. The Hub Manager fosters the conditions for artists and creative organizations to thrive through strong relationship management, community engagement and a passion for the mandate of Artscape.
Artscape Youngplace is a 75,000 square foot, $19 million transformation of a designated heritage school building into a dynamic community cultural hub devoted to artistic inspiration, learning, growth and expression. It is the largest building in Artscape’s portfolio and is the largest cultural institution in Toronto’s West Queen West neighbourhood. After an extensive community engagement and consultation process, and a major renovation, Artscape Youngplace opened to the public in November 2013.
Located on Shaw Street in Toronto’s Trinity Bellwoods neighbourhood, this repurposed school building is home to over 30 artists and organizational tenants representing a vibrant mix of art forms and cultural mandates. Former classrooms, library, gymnasium and office spaces have been thoughtfully transformed into creative production, rehearsal, exhibition and administrative space for not-for-profits, individual artists and socially-minded retail business.
Every day the hub comes to life through diverse practices, programs and events serving the interests and needs of the surrounding community. West Queen West is one of the country’s most creative, with over three hundred galleries, shops, design firms, boutique hotels and restaurants. Artscape Youngplace nurtures creation, learning and collaboration through innovative programs, experiences and events in an inspiring, social environment in order to strengthen and grow our community.
Named in recognition of a generous lead gift from The Michael Young Family Foundation and
established as a commercial condominium, Artscape Youngplace is a model that anchors accessible creative space in the heart of this community.
This position will also support aspects of Artscape Weston Common:
Artscape Weston Common is Artscape’s newest community cultural hub, located in the heart of the Weston-Mount Dennis community. Opened in spring 2019, this hub builds on the community’s existing creativity and rich culture, histories and traditions, offering a vibrant, inviting gathering place for people to come together to create, learn, experience local art, performance and cultural programs and events and celebrate community.
Artscape Weston Common is a collaborative venture, jointly envisioned with the Weston-Mount Dennis community, the City of Toronto and the Rockport Group. This project is Artscape’s first creative placemaking project outside of Toronto’s downtown core — creative placemaking is the practice of leveraging art and culture as a catalyst for urban and community development. As part of the project vision, Artscape Weston Common also provides homes for 26 artists and artist-led families, who live and work in affordable units adjacent to the hub, made possible through a partnership with the City of Toronto.
Artscape operates the hub with its programming partners, UrbanArts and Shakespeare in Action, who bring the hub to life daily, inviting the community in to participate in programming and events.
Hub Services and Team Leadership
- Working with the Director of Hub Services, staff onsite at community cultural hubs and the broader Artscape community, builds a spirit of accessibility, collaboration and community stewardship within the Hub Communities.
- Manages authentic relatonships with tenants and owners, along with surrounding community, arts and cultural groups, project and program partners, stakeholder groups and committees in order to balance the needs of the entire community.
- In collaboration with the Building Operator and Concierge Team, manage day to day operations and delegation of tasks to direct, indirect reports and cross-departmental team members to ensure a safe and supportive environment for tenants, event clients and members of the general public
- Models Artscape values of Creativity, Integrity, Community, Collaboration and Learning in interactions with stakholders, decision making and all internal and external relationships. Supports and fosters a values based culture with direct reports and the broader Hub Services team.
- Manages, coaches and motivates a team of concierges in both hubs, providing consistent performance feeback, strong customer focused relationships and onboarding direct reports to hubs and the overall organziation.
- Fosters a positive and inclusive office environment by leading team meetings, acting as a point of escalation for direct reports, indirect reports and colleagues; problem solving with colleagues and resolving interpersonal conflicts in a healthy and positive manner
Community and Tenant Relations
- Serve as lead point of communication for community stakeholder’s ideas and issues and work closely with Director of Hub Services to ensure timely reporting and responsiveness to formal complaints and suggestions. Regularly convenes and chairs liaison meetings for tenants and owners.
- Represents Artscape at community meetings and events to foster collabroative community partnership opportunities and raise awareness for mandate within the community
- Actively works with Director of Hub Services and the Community Services team to tailor and deliver Thriving Artist Initative activities and policies at building level to reflect the community it resides in.
- Working closely with Manager of Leasing & Community Services Manager and Facilities Team, ensure compliance Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act, and Commercial Tenancies Act and Artscape’s policies and procedures for tenancies.
- In conjunction with the condo manager of TSCC 2397 (AYP) ensure compliance with Condominium Act of 1998 and work within the terms set in the declaration in relation to the owners and operations at Artscape Youngplace.
- Facilitates and coordinates the engagement and impact of hub-related committees;
- Conduct and solicit feedback from community partners for review of events/programming initiatives;
- Provide data to Director of Hub Services regarding recommendations on increasing community engagement initiatives that reflect meaningful impact on community and/or Thriving Artist Initiatives;
- Makes recommendations for improvement areas of initiatives and proactively seeks out opportunities to make processes efficient.
- Collaborates with the Director of Hub Services and cross portfolio Community Hub Managers to standardize and implement protocols and procedures, sharing best practices around community engagement, operations and programming of a community cultural hub
Community Access of Space
- In liasion with Artscape Performance and Event Venue Team, Assistant Manager of Community Outreach & Events and Assistant Manager, Galleries and Exhibitions, manages the community access program for the hubs.
- Actively develops and implements outreach strategies for community engagement, working in collaboration with the program team to introduce the hubs to community members who are unaware or not currently accessing the space and resources
- Drive a successful application process for the community access program submissions to the a Community Access Advisory Committee
- Maintains community access program, ensuring community members work within the policy and procedures of program and receive full subsidy benefits
- Manage special partnerships and programming commitments, ensuring programs are excuted and all appropriate reporting
- In liaison with the Artscape Performance & Event Services team, support bringing the flexible booking space at the hubs online, creating systems and processes for booking space with support from the concierge team
- In collaboration with the Programming and Artscape Performance & Event Services team supports the effective delivery of programming, gallery exhibitions and community focused events
Building Operations, Finance and Administration
- Ensures building activities are clearly communicated to patrons on a daily basis, looks for opportinties for cross promotion, manages the social media accounts and website . (In collaboration with Artscape Communications deptarment with support from concierge and internships)
- Manages office administration needs and functionality, ensuring team follows Artscape’s policies and procedures by soliciting follow up on deliverables by direct reports
- In collaboration with the Building Operator, consider the needs and activities of tenants, owners and members of the public, and help develop and implement emergency planning strategies and techniques, to prepare for ad hoc crisis management of seen and unforeseen situations
- In liaison with the Artscape Performance & Event Services team, support business development plans for existing and potential customers to achieve sales targets and event venue rental activities, ensuring activities align with over all operational goals
- In collaboration with Director of Hub Services, responsible for understanding revenue and expense budgets and financial activities, making decisions based on project feasibility with delivery of sustainable financial outcomes within a set of specified budget limits/parameters and processes
- Management experience: 5 years management experience including people and facilities
- Thorough understanding of inclusion and accessibility and the mandate of Artscape Weston Common and its context in the revitalization of Weston neighborhood.
- Leader in leveraging the power of arts and culture
- Displayed commitment to Artscape’s mission in creative placemaking and hub level impact
- Demonstrated strength in fostering diversity, equity and inclusion in community building, programming, hiring and management.
- Effective conflict management and resolution , skilled in understanding and negotiating a common ground with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to collaborate and embrace a diversity of needs in a shared facility
- Programming: experience managing arts, culture and mentorship programming
- Lead teams through change and strong understanding of the complexity of operations, programming and events
- Financial aptitude: establishing and monitoring annual operating and program budgets
- Communications: proven ability to connect with the community, clients and stakeholders and establish positive and productive ongoing relationships and high customer service levels
- Strong customer service and relationship management orientation
- Prior event/ performance venue experience is an asset
- Experience in hosting or producing special events is an asset
- Spoken/written ability in language(s) in addition to English is an asset
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 423, 130 Queens Quay East
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca