Position Title: Assistant Manager, Events (Daniels Spectrum)
Reporting to: Director, Event Operations
Department: Artscape Performance & Event Venues
Overview/Purpose: The Assistant Manager, Events is responsible for client management and logistics of events at Daniels Spectrum. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Event Operations and working closely with the overall Artscape Event Team, local community, tenants and clients, the Assistant Manager, Events is responsible for customer service and logistics coordination of events at Daniels Spectrum, ensuring that client needs are met with a high quality standard of service.
Direct Reports: Seasonal Coordinators and Administrative Assistants
Indirect Staff: Part-time Venue Supervisors & Venue Support Staff.
Client and Venue Management:
- In collaboration with the Artscape team, tenants and appropriate stakeholders, coordinate all venue related logistics for events at Daniels Spectrum, including Ada Slaight Hall, Artscape Lounge and Courtyard.
- Manages client expectations including assessing the needs of clients and exercising good judgement to make appropriate recommendations for event and technical setups; meeting and communicating with clients throughout the event planning process.
- Prepares cost effective and thoughtful event estimates, technical briefings and part-time staff scheduling in a timely manner, in line with event requirements and technical equipment resources, in collaboration with the Manager, Event Operations (APEV) and Technical Services Consultants.
- Provides event information, requirements and occasional on-site supervision to part-time event staff, including stage employees who are members of IATSE Local 58.
- Lead weekly calendar meetings, to clearly communicate event logistics and troubleshoot issues proactively with the Daniels Spectrum event team
- Supports the Manager, Event Operations (APEV) in performance management of venue staff, by informing performance reviews, informing hiring and disciplinary actions and supporting staff training
- Maintain ongoing communication and coordination with tenants, clients and guests in a friendly and professional manner, demonstrating a collaborative spirit; Work closely with staff to troubleshoot, manage and minimize event services impact on Daniels Spectrum tenants
- Develop trusting relationships with Regent Park community members, ensuring they feel welcome to host events at Daniels Spectrum
- Work closely with event services teams in other properties to execute communication protocols and operating procedures, under the supervision of the Director, Event Operations
- Works collaboratively with the centralized Artscape Performance and Event Venues (APEV) sales team to ensure event related administration is accurate and complete
- On occasion assists the APEV sales team with site tours for potential clients
- Supervise, direct, and coordinate the activities of vendors, personnel, subcontractors, as required
- Ensure health and safety guidelines are followed by direct reports, clients and caterers
- Act as Venue Supervisor or Venue Support Staff on an ad-hoc basis as required
- Prepare and supply clients (and suppliers and vendors where relevant) with event documents and packages in a timely manner
- Coordinate and prepare event briefings, weekly calendar meetings, notes for event staff and other documents
- Reconcile reporting for invoicing, SOCAN, Fund Development, and other reporting as required
- Act as a positive and professional representative for Artscape and Daniels Spectrum, modelling the Artscape values of Creativity, Integrity, Community, Collaboration and Learning.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- This role may require flexible hours to accommodate event and/or client requirements.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a live performance or events environment: production management, stage management or venue management experience considered a strong asset
- Working knowledge of production practices for theatre, music, dance, and other entertainment or corporate events. This should include stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management techniques.
- Strong organizational, planning and time management skills to coordinate conflicting deadlines and interruptions.
- Strong customer service and client management skills; ability to diffuse and mediate conflict whilst maintaining the policies of the venue
- Experience working in unionized venues
- Interpersonal, team building, and collaborative skills.
- Practical knowledge of employment, labour and occupational health and safety laws.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills to work with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Previous experience indirectly or directly managing a team of people
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience working or living in the Regent Park community would be considered a strong asset
- Experience working with Salesforce considered a strong asset
- Experience working with computer aided design software considered a strong asset
- Passionate, collaborative team environment in an open concept office.
- Varied hours including occasional nights and weekends.
- Consistent ability to interact with a wide range of temperaments and communication styles.
- Ability to stand and walk freely and quickly.