Job Title: Technical Services Associate
Position Type: Part-time, Hourly, 1 Year Contract
Department: Artscape Performance and Event Venues
Reporting to: Director, Event Operations
Location: Artscape Daniels Launchpad, 130 Queens Quay East, Suite 423,
4th Floor, East Tower
Application Deadline: Open until position is filled
Artscape is an urban non-profit development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Artscape operates its event venues as a social enterprise that uses a sliding scale model to facilitate access to high-quality event spaces for a large cross-section of people and organizations. To learn more about our venues, please visit www.artscapeeventvenues.ca. Interested applicants are also encouraged to learn more about Artscape at artscape.ca and artscapediy.org
Artscape is currently seeking a Technical Services Associate at Artscape Daniels Launchpad. Working within the Artscape Performance and Event Venues Team, the Technical Services Associate will be a hands-on, detail-oriented individual who can successfully act as team leader, coach and communicator and thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines. Working professionally with superb customer service skills with all rental clients, patrons, Artscape staff, outside contractors and other technical employees, the Technical Services Associate takes a leadership role in the installation, operation and strikes of events-related equipment and services as well as maintaining, servicing, and operating the facility’s technical equipment as required.
The Technical Services Associate, reporting directly to the Director, Event Operations, will receive direction from the Technical Services Coordinator and Assistant Manager of Events. They will collaborate frequently with Studio Technicians, as well as other departments such as Operations, Memberships, Programs, and Partnerships.
This position is ideal for a highly creative, imaginative candidate with strong technical and creative knowledge, interpersonal skills, with an interest in and aptitude for providing both operational and practitioner support.
- Executing professional technical services, including the operation of audio, lighting, video and staging systems for events in accordance with client schedules, requirements and Artscape policies
- Assist with the maintenance, storage, and cleaning of equipment for event and programming use in the event space, classrooms and meeting rooms – ensuring health and safety standards are complied with, and in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Fully understand, and help communicate to clients, members and staff, Health and Safety standards and protocols, appropriately tracking necessary documents and processes for stakeholders
- Assisting and supporting other venue staff, including the Venue Supervisor and Venue Support Staff
- Assist the Technical Services Coordinator and Assistant Manager of Events to keep an up-to-date inventory of all materials and equipment within the Event Space, Classrooms and Meeting Rooms
- In collaboration with APEV and other on-site staff, propose Standard Operating Procedures for equipment in the event space, classrooms and meeting rooms to the Director, Event Operations.
- Help maintain and track training of Standard Operating Procedures for event space, classrooms and meeting rooms for all users
- Facilitate a sign in-out and/or rental system for equipment
- Provide technical support for, and connect members to, Launchpad staff and resources (including other Launchpad studios)
- Maintain a respectful and mindful culture in shared spaces that emphasizes best practices, professionalism, proper stewardship of equipment and resources, and upholds all Artscape policies and procedures
- Responsible for staying current on traditional and digital equipment, tools, materials, and processes
- Provide support to Technical Services Coordinator and Assistant Manager of Events to identify efficiencies and improvements in work processes that benefit organization-wide
- Undertake administrative duties as required
- Demonstrating an understanding of the mandate and vision of Artscape and Artscape Daniels Launchpad
- 2 years practical experience as a technician in live performance, photography, sound recording, VFX/ video production, post-production studio spaces, and/or an equivalent combination of professional experience and training
- Must possess strong knowledge of live performance and conference equipment including. Analog and digital audio systems, lighting fixtures and systems, video and presentation equipment and networking technologies, as well as the software supporting such systems.
- Must possess a high level of experience, knowledge, skills, and expertise, in the tools, equipment, and processes used in live performance and conference events, with an aptitude and willingness to quickly learn
- Comfortable juggling multiple and/or conflicting priorities, and a rigorous and empathetic communicator, collaborator, and troubleshooter
- Defaults to planning and processes, but comfortable in chaos and rapid timelines
- Fluent in verbal and written English, with knowledge of a second language considered an asset
- This position will require moving and lifting of raw materials and equipment up to 50 pounds.
- This position also requires the willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Proven experience and commitment to customer service in facilities with high volume use, as well as highly organized, with clear written and verbal communication
- Experience in and commitment to fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment supporting a diverse range of practices and backgrounds
- Proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training, and aesthetic sensibilities in a creative environment
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 423, 130 Queens Quay East
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca