Job Title: Building Operator
Position Type: Full-time
Department: Facilities and Community Services
Start Date: November 2019
Location: Artscape Bayside Lofts and Artscape Daniels Launchpad
OVERVIEW/PURPOSE: Artscape believes that thriving artists help build thriving communities. Our projects cluster creative people together in facilities that are designed to help them thrive while creating additional positive cultural, social, economic and environmental outcomes for the communities in which they’re located. Their development is rooted in a practice called creative placemaking, which leverages art and culture to build vibrant, sustainable, prosperous and inclusive communities.
Artscape’s diverse portfolio includes community cultural hubs, affordable rental and ownership housing, and performance and rehearsal spaces. Our approach to sustainability includes balancing affordable rents with earned income through social enterprises including events venue rentals. Building Operators plays a major part in Artscape’s Strategic Objectives, as it relates to cultivating thriving communities, serving more people and communities and building organizational resilience.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Artscape Communities, the Building Operator is the building level lead representing Facilities and Community Services as the service provider to tenants, members and patrons across the Artscape portfolio providing a safe and comfortable environment for all guests, staff and the general public. This role is responsible for building maintenance, custodial services, and security protocols at Artscape Bayside Lofts, an 80- unit residential property, and Artscape Daniels Launchpad, a 30,000 sq foot creative entrepreneurship centre with creative studios, co-working space and a programming and event venue.
This position is required to participate in a rotating shift and after hour on-call program where they are expected to work weekends and evenings, with occasional overtime as required.
- Operation of Artscape facilities to the highest level of safety, efficiency, and comfort, while ensuring maintenance, repairs, improvement, and replacement are completed to the required original manufacturer recommendations, industry best practices, and code and Legislative compliance
- On-site team supervision, overseeing day to day operations and delegation of tasks to ensure a safe, clean and supportive environment for tenants, members, event clients and members of the general public
- Escalation of issues that compromise the well-being, health and safety of staff, tenants, owners and visitors
- Coordination and supervision external contractors and vendors ensuring service level agreements are executed accordingly and efficiently, such as contracted inspections, repairs, and inventory orders and deliveries
- Informs and implements health and safety protocols, business continuity plans and escalation policies
- Under the guidance of the Senior Director, Artscape Communities, develops and implements security protocols for both facilities
- Implements shared services agreements and maintains positive relationship with shared facilities providers at Artscape Daniels Launchpad and Artscape Bayside Lofts
- Ensuring best practices are used in evaluating the most cost effective approach, through solicitation and evaluation of quotations and upholding financial policies, practices and cost impact associated with business at Artscape
- Fostering a culture of team work and positivity, by sharing knowledge and providing training in building maintenance and institutional cleaning practices to onsite team, holding team accountable to exceptional work practices and customer service care
- Employee and contract cleaner scheduling, ensuring the team completes duties within schedule and submission of payroll hours to the finance team
- Collaboration with the Facilities and Community Services, identifying needed improvements to operations, developing and implementing health and safety protocols, and better business practices
- Collaboration with Facilities & Community Services, in developing and managing operational budgets, and strategizing asset plans for short term and long term operational needs and capital and life cycle replacement
- Fostering team-work and problem solving by working collaboratively with other Artscape colleagues, sourcing and recommending cross portfolio training and knowledge share opportunities and actively participating in brainstorming sessions and staff meetings to develop best practices
- Gaining and transferring knowledge of all building systems and operations across the portfolio in order to respond and resolve requests from tenant, owners and members effectively and efficiently. Actively build personal knowledge to become a subject matter expert in multiple disciplines of building operations
- Participating in on-call and after hour’s emergency care, the Building Operator works closely and collaboratively with Building Operator team to respond and investigate building emergencies across the portfolio during designated on call rotation
- Proactively models the Artscape values of Creativity, Integrity, Community, Collaboration and Learning
- Experience and facility in a variety of hands-on property maintenance and construction skills including carpentry, plumbing, electrical wiring, roofing, flooring, framing, trim work, drywall, taping, painting and yard work is essential
- 1-2 years of supervision of third party contractors and/or employees, including staff scheduling
- An understanding of modern building systems and automation is essential
- An understanding of institutional housekeeping and cleaning
- Familiarity with current health and safety practices and requirements
- Experience in residential and commercial property management and/or affordable housing is a strong asset
- Experience working in a non-profit environment is an asset
- Familiarity with green building and operation strategies is an asset
- Class G driver’s license is an asset
- Heavy lifting may be required on occasion
- Relevant training includes WHIMIS, MOL, AODA, First Aid, and De-escalation training
- Experience with Salesforce, Yardi or other property management software is a strong asset
- Comfort using Microsoft Office, Slack and/or other digital communication tools is essential
- Strong relationship management skills, ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders, including Artscape tenants, members and owners
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Ability to deescalate and diffuse conflict situations appropriately and with sound judgement
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
130 Queens Quay East
Suite 423, 4th Floor East Tower
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.