Job Title: Manager, Event Support Staff
Position Type: Full Time
Department: Artscape Performance and Event Venues
Reporting to: Director, Event Operations
Direct Reports: Event Support Staff (Venue Supervisors, Venue Support Staff, Kitchen Supervisors)
Start Date: Late November
Location: Daniels Spectrum
Application Deadline: 2019-11-12*
*Interviews may be conducted throughout the posting period. However, no offers will be made until after the posting closes.
OVERVIEW/PURPOSE: The Manager, Event Support Staff is responsible for ensuring the centralized delivery of high-quality event staffing and customer service across Artscape Performance and Event Venues (APEV). This position manages a centralized team of Event Support Staff, consisting of Venue Supervisors, Kitchen Supervisors and Venue Support Staff across the APEV portfolio of social enterprise event venues. The Manager, Event Support Staff works closely with on-site hub staff and the centralized APEV team to ensure that part-time staff are trained, motivated, engaged and supported to provide service levels consistent with the Artscape brand, while maximizing opportunities to work cross-portfolio. This position reports to the Director, Event Operations and is based out of Daniels Spectrum, with travel to other hubs on a regular basis. This position requires flexibility in hours to provide evening and weekend on-call coverage, with a consistent cross-portfolio on-site presence over weekends during the busier Spring and Fall seasons.
Artscape Events – General
- Promotes the centralized model of Artscape’s Performance and Event Venues team, helping to ensure that the social enterprise and community impact of Artscape events is realized.
- Continously works to gain expert knowledge of each venue’s operations and distinct qualities.
- Positively models and leads with the Artscape values of Creativity, Collaboration, Community, Integrity and Learning.
Event Support Staff and Customer Service
- Responsible for the day to day management of event support staff (Venue Supervisors, Kitchen Supervisors, Venue Support Staff), including directing work both remotely and onsite as applicable.
- Under the supervision of the Director, Event Operations, develops and executes a centralized event support staff and customer service model to promote consistent customer service while engaging event support staff to support events across all APEV hubs.
- Recruits, hires and trains event support staff for the APEV portfolio seasonal event needs and identifies opportunities for continuous training, recognition and professional development of event support staff.
- Facilitates performance management for event support staff, including goal setting, conducting performance reviews, providing feedback and guidance, and support for conflict resolution.
- Acts as an escalation point for event support staff concerns and collaborates with the APEV team to resolve customer service concerns from clients and other issues.
- Contributes to an environment of continous improvement by identifying and suggesting policy and procedures that improve events administration, logistics, and the experience of staff, clients and visitors to Artscape event venues.
- Promotes and champions awareness and adherence to Health and Safety regulations and policies and continously assseses hazards, providing training opportunities and resolutions
Scheduling and Payroll
- Schedules event support staff across all hubs in accordance with the Employment Standards Act, based on event schedule needs
- Documents, maintains and keeps up to date records of all payroll processing in a timely manner
- Keeps strict adherence to submission deadlines for payroll and quality assures data to be accurate through verifying hours worked throughout upcoming payroll cycle
- Prepares bi-weekly payroll submissions and works closely with the Finance and People and Culture teams to find efficiencies in processes
- Prepares annual budget for event support staff portfolio operational needs
- Supports the planning, launch and opening of additional Artscape venues
- Supports the recruitment and training of event support staff for additional Artscape venues, while maximizing opportunities for current Artscape support staff
Event Administration & Logistics
- Manages day-to-day maintenance of the electronic APEV staff portal and related systems and assists Director, Event Operations with related major upgrades and revisions, training and user help.
- Minimum post-secondary certificate/diploma/degree in event management or hospitality or a related qualification with equivalent experience
- At least (3) three years managing, directing or scheduling part-time or volunteer staff in an event, retail or other customer facing environment
- At least (2) two years experience in event and/or production coordination
- An excellent understanding of the Employment Standards Act (ESA), Ontario and Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and Accessibility for Ontarians with Dissibillities Act (AODA)
- Experience working in a non-profit performing arts organization that caters to diverse client and event types considered an asset
- Experience working in multiple event venues with different event requirements and ranges of use considered an asset
- Smartserve Certification and familiarity with food handling/catering requirements, production/technical/equipment needs, and industry best practices are considered an asset
- A passion for Artscape’s mission and values to create space for creativity and transform communities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- A working knowledge of WordPress or similar CMS systems
- Experience using Salesforce a strong asset
- Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills with an ability to priortize mutliple, competing deliverables
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with proven exceptional client management skills
- Ability to learn quickly, think on your feet, and adapt easily to new environments, challenges, and opportunities;
- Strong logic and decision making;
- Strong customer service focus; experience working through conflict and resolving client concerns in a healthy manner consistent with Artscape best practices
- Committed and interested in working with a diversity of customers and partners ranging from grassroots arts organizations to professional event producers.
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
130 Queens Quay East
Suite 423, 4th Floor East Tower
Toronto, ON M5A 0P6
email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.