At Artscape Daniels Launchpad (Launchpad), we are co-creating a space for creatives who want thrive. We are searching for an agile and skilled senior leader and community builder who is passionate about helping creatives thrive, demonstrates values-based people leadership, and knows the numbers to manage multiple social enterprises and execute multiple projects. As Launchpad enters its second phase of operations (“Launchpad 2.0”), Artscape has moved into the next phase of its value proposition to ensure we are continually evolving to meet the needs of the Launchpad community.
If you are interested in Leveling Up with Artscape, we want to hear from you!
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development. For more information, please visit artscape.ca.
Opened in late 2018, Artscape Daniels Launchpad exists to empower all artists, designers, and creators to prosper from their creative practice. Artscape Daniels Launchpad is Toronto’s one-stop hub for creative entrepreneurship, offering not only an amazing space to create, experiment and learn new skills, but also a vibrant community of diverse creators to collaborate and share resources. Artscape’s entrepreneurial DNA and commitment define and drive Launchpad’s social enterprise model. The majority of its operations are funded through earned revenue from its membership-based creative production studios, learning programs, digital media lab and event venue. For more information, please visit artscapedanielslaunchpad.com.
About the career opportunity
Reporting to Artscape’s Chief Operating Officer, the Managing Director leads and mentors a cross-functional team of 5-6 direct reports working with approximately 30-40 full- and part-time staff, managing a budget of $4.5 million. This role is a key player in ensuring that Artscape Daniels Launchpad’s operations are financially sustainable and deliver on the value proposition to members and clients. Outstanding demonstrated people leadership, client services, community building and project management skills are essential for success in this role. This role is a member of the Artscape Senior Leadership team.
Realizing Launchpad’s value proposition for creatives
Lead the Launchpad team to continuously refine and enhance the value proposition for members and clients by working with Launchpad’s internal departments to:
- Ensure a consistently high-touch, high quality, value-for-money member experience that fosters a sense of belonging.
- Deliver a robust array of learning and entrepreneurship development opportunities, mentorship, coaching and other added value opportunities.
- Create programs that help members develop their creative business and full selves, through wellness initiatives, opportunities for market exposure, friendships and collaboration with each other and our partners.
- Ensure access to well-managed and safely operated studios and technical training programs.
- Ensure that all elements of Launchpad’s value proposition are effectively coordinated, communicated and executed to provide maximum benefit to members.
Building Launchpad’s social enterprises
- Oversee the development and implementation of strategies to support earned revenue targets for Launchpad’s social enterprises: Individual Memberships and technical training; Corporate Memberships and Experiences; Launchpad Learning; Digital Media Lab; Creative Studios; Performance and Event Services (in collaboration with the Artscape Performance and Event Venues team).
- Build a culture of innovation that relies on data analysis, member/client feedback and the collective knowledge of the team to create continuous improvement in the management, policies, systems and communications for Launchpad.
- Work with Launchpad leaders to develop and implement operating systems, policies, procedures, data management and volunteer engagement.
- Work closely with Artscape’s Marketing and Communications Department to develop a strong Launchpad brand, implement a robust communications and digital marketing strategy
Administration, Finance and Operations
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer to develop and execute an accurate, financially sustainable annual budget that is guided by operational and programming goals, and is rooted in social enterprise principles.
- Report on key metrics for Launchpad’s various stakeholders, including funders, donors, Artscape’s Board and other major stakeholders.
- Work with Artscape’s Facilities team to support day to day operations, and longer-term, capital maintenance and repair projects and oversee occasional interior design upgrades.
Developing a strong and dynamic team
- Foster a healthy, safe and inclusive workplace culture and a highly engaged team that demonstrates Artscape’s values of integrity, community, creativity, collaboration and learning.
- Work with the Launchpad team to create and monitor annual work plans that drives progress towards achievement of improved programmatic and financial results.
- Lead and create a high performing and cohesive team through coaching, performance management, shared planning and project management.
- With Artscape’s People and Culture team, oversee training, implementation and reporting that demonstrate compliance with employment, health and safety, and accessibility regulation and best practice.
- With the Artscape Directors team, create and facilitate opportunities for improved employee engagement and feedback on organizational issues and initiatives through all-staff meetings, roundtables, fireside chats, and other ways to create dialogue.
- Along with Artscape’s Directors Team, serve as a champion and steward for the implementation of Artscape’s strategic plan, Artscape 5.0 including establishing goals, identifying opportunities and challenges to be addressed, and setting objectives and plans for near and medium goals.
Raising funds and developing partnerships
- Working closely with the Toronto Artscape Foundation, contribute to the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of partners, sponsors and funders.
- Support Artscape and Toronto Artscape Foundation’s fund development team with annual planning, program development and donor engagement initiatives/programs; and ensure prompt, accurate and appropriate reporting at all times.
- Build a spirit of accessibility, collaboration and community stewardship. Manage authentic relationships with arts and cultural groups, project and program partners, stakeholder groups and committees.
- Drive opportunities that foster economic and multicultural inclusion in all facets of Artscape Daniels Launchpad’s programs and operations.
- Establish and/or participate in other ad hoc stakeholder committees as required to fulfill Launchpad’s vision.
People Leadership: People leadership including change management, coaching and mentorship are essential in this role. High level of emotional intelligence: a strong and respected leader with a long track record of motivating, inspiring and mentoring staff teams to achieve extraordinary results that provide satisfaction and happiness to staff members throughout the organization. States clearly what is expected from others, and maintains a precise and constant flow of information.
Community Experience: Leadership experience gained in a multi-stakeholder environment and where success in leveraging a partnership model is in evidence. Ideally, has played a key role within the start-up ecosystem. A demonstrated passion for arts and community. Experience within or in support of a social enterprise or community-building organization will be a distinct asset, as will success driving the growth of an entrepreneurial or start-up environment.
Financial/Business/Legal/Management Acumen: Strong financial, management, planning and execution skills. Able to oversee a wide range of operations and projects, and skilled at using effective processes to evaluate and advance initiatives, including financial modelling, budgeting and project management techniques. Comfortable working on complex legal matters with multiple stakeholders with experience in real estate law, transactions and process. Ability to build a dynamic social enterprise and develop a staffing plan to fulfill the needs of the organization as it grows.
Project Management: Strong leadership skills with the ability to manage both projects and people. Strong organizational and project management skills, with the ability to deliver on time in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
Strategic: A big-picture, long-term thinker; able to lead an organization to help set and achieve its vision, goals and objectives. Strong intellectual, strategic thinking, and creative problem solving skills. An entrepreneur at heart, with the unique ability to look at a capital project from multiple perspectives and align the interests of a diverse group of stakeholders with differing objectives.
Relationship Skills: Extremely strong relationship builder. Quickly develops rapport and credibility with a range of audiences, including the arts and cultural community. Good communicator: able to be both credible and persuasive in a wide range of arenas and to diverse audiences. Approachable and diplomatic. Builds commitment by convincing others and winning them over to a point of view. An energetic and inspiring leader who possesses the knowledge, experience and charisma to quickly make positive traction with a range of stakeholders, internal and external to the organization.
Creativity: Entrepreneurial, curious and creative. Driver of new ideas and new ways of doing things. Sees the possibilities in social enterprise and capitalizes on opportunities. Passionate about arts and culture and advances opportunities for the creative community. Willing to take risks and consider new approaches.
Personal Qualities: Self-motivated and highly organized to plan and achieve deliverables with and through their people. Inspirational with a passion for the not-for-profit sector and for contributing to a more culturally rich and more liveable community. A highly adaptable professional who values a balance of autonomy and teamwork. A collaborative leader able to capitalize on existing leads and projects. When under pressure, the ability to maintain calm, professional and with a sense of humour. Possesses the skills, attributes and experience to build trust as a highly credible influencer.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or demonstrated related experience
- At least 5 years’ leadership experience in a senior management role, ideally in a large start-up or not-for-profit, with at least 3 years’ experience leading and managing a team of full time and part time employees
- Experience creating experiences and building community in a shared space environments such as co-working and/or collaboration spaces
- Experience running or practical knowledge of the challenges and opportunities inherent in social enterprise businesses
- Knowledge and experience of non-profit and charitable sector governance, legislation and best practice is considered an asset
HOW TO APPLY
Email your resume and cover letter with salary expectations in confidence to email@example.com. Indicate the Job Title and your name in the Subject line. In your letter, be sure to tell us where you initially saw the job posted. Unfortunately, incomplete applications without salary expectations will not be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please. In some cases, interviews may begin before the job postings closes.
Accessibility: In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Diversity & Inclusion statement: Artscape is intentional in creating spaces that are inclusive and showcase creativity. Our community reflects this intention, as we welcome people from all experiences, inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, race, Indigenous status, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, caregiver status, housing status, place of origin, age, and all other statuses protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code.