Job Title: Technical Services Associate
Position Type: Part-time, Hourly, 1 Year Contract
Department: Artscape Performance and Event Venues
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Technical Services
Location: Artscape Daniels Launchpad, 130 Queens Quay East, Suite 423, 4th Floor, East Tower
Application Deadline: Open until position is filled
Artscape is an urban non-profit development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Artscape operates its event venues as a social enterprise that uses a sliding scale model to facilitate access to high-quality event spaces for a large cross-section of people and organizations. To learn more about our venues, please visit www.artscapeeventvenues.ca. Interested applicants are also encouraged to learn more about Artscape at artscape.ca and artscapediy.org
OVERVIEW/PURPOSE: Artscape is currently seeking a Technical Services Associate at Artscape Daniels Launchpad. Working within the Artscape Performance and Event Venues Team, the Technical Services Associate will be a hands-on, detail-oriented individual who can successfully act as team leader, coach and communicator and thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines. Working professionally with superb customer service skills with all rental clients, patrons, Artscape staff, outside contractors and other technical employees, the Technical Services Associate takes a leadership role in the installation, operation and strikes of events-related equipment and services as well as maintaining, servicing, and operating the facility’s technical equipment as required.
The Technical Services Associate, reporting directly to the Senior Manager, Technical Services, will receive direction from the Technical Services Coordinator and Assistant Manager of Events. They will collaborate frequently with Studio Technicians, as well as other departments such as Operations, Memberships, Programs, and Partnerships.
This position is ideal for a highly creative, imaginative candidate with strong technical and creative knowledge, interpersonal skills, with an interest in and aptitude for providing both operational and practitioner support.
- Executing professional technical services, including the operation of audio, lighting, video and staging systems for events in accordance with client schedules, requirements and Artscape policies
- Assist with the maintenance, storage, and cleaning of equipment for event and programming use in the event space, classrooms and meeting rooms – ensuring health and safety standards are complied with, and in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Fully understand, and help communicate to clients, members and staff, Health and Safety standards and protocols, appropriately tracking necessary documents and processes for stakeholders
- Assisting and supporting other venue staff, including the Venue Supervisor and Venue Support Staff
- Assist the Technical Services Coordinator and Assistant Manager of Events to keep an up-to-date inventory of all materials and equipment within the Event Space, Classrooms and Meeting Rooms
- In collaboration with APEV and other on-site staff, propose Standard Operating Procedures for equipment in the event space, classrooms and meeting rooms to the Director, Event Operations
- Help maintain and track training of Standard Operating Procedures for event space, classrooms and meeting rooms for all users
- Facilitate a sign in-out and/or rental system for equipment
- Provide technical support for, and connect members to, Launchpad staff and resources (including other Launchpad studios)
- Maintain a respectful and mindful culture in shared spaces that emphasizes best practices, professionalism, proper stewardship of equipment and resources, and upholds all Artscape policies and procedures
- Responsible for staying current on traditional and digital equipment, tools, materials, and processes
- Provide support to Technical Services Coordinator and Assistant Manager of Events to identify efficiencies and improvements in work processes that benefit organization-wide
- Undertake administrative duties as required
- Demonstrating an understanding of the mandate and vision of Artscape and Artscape Daniels Launchpad
- 2 years practical experience as a technician in live performance, photography, sound recording, VFX/ video production, post-production studio spaces, and/or an equivalent combination of professional experience and training
- Must possess strong knowledge of live performance and conference equipment including. Analog and digital audio systems, lighting fixtures and systems, video and presentation equipment and networking technologies, as well as the software supporting such systems
- Must possess a high level of experience, knowledge, skills, and expertise, in the tools, equipment, and processes used in live performance and conference events, with an aptitude and willingness to quickly learn
- Comfortable juggling multiple and/or conflicting priorities, and a rigorous and empathetic communicator, collaborator, and troubleshooter
- Defaults to planning and processes, but comfortable in chaos and rapid timelines
- Fluent in verbal and written English, with knowledge of a second language considered an asset
- This position will require moving and lifting of raw materials and equipment up to 50 pounds.
- This position also requires the willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Proven experience and commitment to customer service in facilities with high volume use, as well as highly organized, with clear written and verbal communication
- Experience in and commitment to fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment supporting a diverse range of practices and backgrounds
- Proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training, and aesthetic sensibilities in a creative environment
HOW TO APPLY
Email your resume and cover letter with salary expectations in confidence to email@example.com. Indicate the Job Title and your name in the Subject line. In your letter, be sure to tell us where you initially saw the job posted. Unfortunately, incomplete applications without salary expectations will not be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please. In some cases, interviews may begin before the job postings closes.
Accessibility: In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Diversity & Inclusion statement: Artscape is intentional in creating spaces that are inclusive and showcase creativity. Our community reflects this intention, as we welcome people from all experiences, inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, race, Indigenous status, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, caregiver status, housing status, place of origin, age, and all other statuses protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code.