Based on the latest public health and government recommendations regarding the reopening of non-essential businesses and public gatherings, Artscape is pleased to announce that we are getting ready to gradually reopen our spaces, applying a phased approach and ensuring that health and safety procedures are in place to help maintain community safety and contain the spread of COVID-19. Our facilities will offer limited access for the rest of the summer. We anticipate returning to full operations in September, but of course these dates may change, depending on updates and directives from government and health officials.
On July 6, our community cultural hubs (Artscape Weston Common, Daniels Spectrum, Artscape Youngplace, Artscape Gibraltar Point, Artscape Distillery Studios and Artscape Wychwood Barns) began reopening in a limited way to enable our tenants and owners to run their summer programs and activities. All visitors to these hubs will be required to complete a health screening questionnaire (available at www.artscape.ca/c19) prior to entering the spaces and are required to wear a mask and observe physical distancing (2m/6ft apart) in all common areas within these facilities.
Artscape Daniels Launchpad also reopened to members on July 13 with the same screening requirement upon entry. Please note that given the communal nature of our spaces, mask wearing will be mandatory within all Launchpad spaces; Please bring your own mask to wear. The Commons areas, Creative Studios and Digital Media Lab have been equipped for physical distancing (learn more here!) and are ready for bookings. Until we are fully operational again, Artscape Daniels Launchpad will continue to deliver free virtual programming through Launchpad Learning Online. See What’s On.
Artscape Gibraltar Point reopened for limited self-directed residencies on July 13. Requirements for physical distancing andface masking as well as restrictions on communal space use continue. Please contact Artscape Gibraltar Point at AGP@artscape.ca for further information on availability and details on health and safety protocols.
Artscape Performance and Event Venues is tentatively scheduled to begin reopening in a limited capacity on August 1, 2020 with plans to return to full operations in late 2020 or early 2021. To accommodate the current gathering restriction of 50 people, we have created a safer space in our various sized and reconfigurable venues for hybrid events; combining small local gatherings with live-streams, staff gatherings, office overflow space, multi-day events, and multi-venue events. For example:
- Ada Slaight Hall and Sugar Hall can be configured as 3 smaller venues, each with its own entrances and exits, lighting, sound and video capabilities at Artscape Daniels Launchpad.
- Ada Slaight Hall, Sugar Hall and Artscape Wychwood Barns can support larger gatherings with physical distancing between attendees.
- Artscape Gibraltar Point, Daniels Spectrum and Artscape Wychwood Barns have outdoor space available.
Artscape’s head office will reopen to staff on September 8, 2020. Non-essential full time staff will remain working from home except for ad hoc meetings as directed by people leaders.
To protect the health and safety of the public and Artscape tenants, owners, members and employees visiting our spaces and reduce the spread of COVID-19, the following safety measures are in place at our facilities until further notice. We will continue to evaluate as new information becomes available:
Mandatory health screening of all employees, tenants, owners and members as well as their visitors entering the building is required. Online screening forms must be completed upon entering the building and can be accessed on the Artscape website (artscape.ca) or using a tablet at the entry desk. Printed forms can also be provided on request).
- Cleaning: To protect the health and safety of Artscape tenants, owners, members, employees and visitors to our spaces and reduce the spread of COVID-19, additional and frequent detailed cleaning will be in place at all Artscape facilities during this time. All staff have been briefed on COVID-19 protocols and have increased the wiping and sanitizing of all public spaces and high-touch surfaces: including elevator call buttons, handrails, concierge desks, coworking spaces, washrooms and all door handles. Despite these sanitation efforts, frequent hand washing is still your best defence against the virus.
- Hand washing: The World Health Organization (WHO) has said that hand washing is your best defence against contracting COVID-19. Visitors to our building will see posted hand-washing instructions in the common areas and public washrooms. The most effective way to help prevent sickness is by washing your hands frequently and minimizing contact with your face. Hand sanitizing stations will be available in the public spaces at our facilities. Please note that although hand sanitizer is helpful in killing some germs, it will not remove all germs. Handwashing is your best defence against COVID-19.
- Mask wearing in public: Face masks are required to be worn in all common areas within each facility. Masks have been shown to be an effective tool in preventing the spread of the virus, if worn correctly.
- Practice physical distancing: Minimize close contact with people by avoiding hugging or kissing and remaining at least 6ft apart (hockey stick length) from others with whom you are interacting. Always cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
- Travel Advisory: If you have traveled outside of Ontario recently, please self-quarantine and refrain from visiting our hubs for a period of 14 days upon your return.
- Stay Home if Sick: If you suspect that you may be ill or are displaying symptoms of: fever, cough, sore throat or headache, please stay at home and seek medical advice (see Toronto Public Health) and rest until symptoms are gone or impose a self-quarantine until you can be tested and diagnosed.
For more details, please read our Artscape Reopening FAQs for Visitors. Stay safe and we look forward to seeing you soon!