Job Title: Custodian
Position Type: Permanent Part Time
Department: Hub Services
Reporting to: Building Operator – Artscape Bayside Lofts & Artscape Daniels Launchpad
Location: ADL – Artscape Daniels Launchpad
Anticipated Start Date: August 4, 2020
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighborhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development. For more information please visit www.artscape.ca.
Artscape Daniels Launchpad is looking for a reliable Custodian, who is able to multi-task, ensuring a clean and safe working environment.
- Ensures a high standard of cleanliness in the public and event spaces of the buildings
- Sweeps/vacuums and mops/machine washes floors, stairs and elevators
- Dusts/cleans/disinfects washrooms, kitchenettes, railings, counters, doors, walls, windows, mirrors, linen laundering, infrastructure and other common areas, select studio spaces
- Dusts and maintains art and art display surfaces
- Removal of garbage and other waste materials
- Pre‐ and post‐event cleaning, including waste removal, floor and surface cleaning and ensuring clients have removed all of their materials at appropriate times
- Keeps a thorough written daily log of all shifts, product use, incidents and suggestions for improving the health, safety and cleanliness in and around the buildings
- Three years’ experience as a professional cleaner / custodian / janitor
- Passion for cleanliness, order, organization and maintaining a beautiful space
- Strong analytical skills and good judgment
- Ability to prioritize, solve problems, and take initiative
- Ability to work in a busy public environment
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, night shifts and/or split shifts
- WHMIS and Workplace Safety Training is an asset
- Experience in the non‐profit sector, an interest in arts and culture, and a familiarity with Toronto’s arts community are all considered assets
Join Our Team!
We love creatives and creativity!
Join our team and be part of an organization that positively transforms the community through co-creation. Artscape is an urban development organization and global leader in creative placemaking. We have community cultural hubs throughout Toronto. The core of our work focuses on developing real estate projects, programs and services to empower artists and connect them to communities. As a not-for-profit organization based in Toronto since 1986, we collaborate with artists, community leaders, public policy advocates, philanthropists and urban developers, so that our work builds value for everybody. As a team member, you will contribute to the wide range of work we do for the community.
How to Apply: Email your resume and cover letter with salary expectations in confidence to email@example.com. Indicate the Job Title and your name in the Subject line. In your letter, be sure to tell us where you initially saw the job posted. Unfortunately, incomplete applications without salary expectations will not be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please. In some cases, interviews may begin before the job posting closes.
Accessibility: In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Diversity & Inclusion statement: Artscape is intentional in creating spaces that are inclusive and showcase creativity. Our community reflects this intention, as we welcome people from all experiences, inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, race, Indigenous status, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, caregiver status, housing status, place of origin, age, and all other statuses protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code.