POSITION BRIEF – access here
Job Title: Managing Director, Launchpad
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Department: Artscape Daniels Launchpad
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: ADL – Artscape Daniels Launchpad
Application Deadline: August 14, 2020
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighborhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development. For more information please visit www.artscape.ca.
Opened in late 2018, Artscape Daniels Launchpad exists to empower all artists, designers, and creators to prosper from their creative practice. Artscape Daniels Launchpad is Toronto’s one-stop hub for creative entrepreneurship, offering not only an amazing space to create, experiment and learn new skills, but also a vibrant community of diverse creators to collaborate and share resources.
Artscape’s entrepreneurial DNA and commitment define and drive Launchpad’s social enterprise model. The majority of its operations are funded through a mix of earned revenue and raised funds from its membership-based creative production studios, learning programs, digital media lab and event venue. To learn more visit: www.artscapedanielslaunchpad.com.
ARTSCAPE 5.0 (2018-2022)
What does the future of the organization who coined the term “creative placemaking” look like? As part of the planning process, Artscape affirmed its vision and mission statement. A new more succinct values statement was developed to reflect the principles that guide our work. Together the vision, mission and values will help Artscape make strategic choices over the next five years
For full details on Artscapes strategic plan please visit:
Vision (Where we are going): Artscape is committed to building a world that engages artists, culture and creativity as catalysts for community vibrancy, sustainability, prosperity and inclusiveness.
Mission (Why we exist): Artscape makes space for creativity and transforms communities.
Values: The principles that guide our work:
INTEGRITY: being the best we can be for the world
COMMUNITY: engaging diverse people and perspectives in decision-making
CREATIVITY: channeling resourcefulness, agility, innovation and entrepreneurship
COLLABORATION: generating win/win/win partnerships and multiple bottom lines
LEARNING: demonstrating a commitment to continuous improvement
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Reporting to Artscape’s Chief Operating Officer, the Managing Director of Artscape Daniels
Launchpad leads and mentors a cross-functional team of 5-6 direct reports working with
approximately 30-40 full- and part-time staff, managing a budget of $4.5 million. This role is a
key player in ensuring that Artscape Daniels Launchpad’s operations are financially
sustainable and deliver on the value proposition to members and clients. Outstanding
demonstrated people leadership, fiscal management, community building and project
Developing a strong and dynamic team
- Foster a healthy, safe, inclusive, workplace culture and a highly engaged team that demonstrates Artscape’s values of integrity, community, creativity, collaboration and learning.
Realizing Launchpad’s value proposition for creatives
- Lead the Launchpad team to continuously refine and enhance the value proposition for members and clients to ensure a consistent high-touch, high quality, member experience that fosters belonging.
Building Launchpad’s social enterprises
- Oversee the development and implementation of strategies and programs to support earned revenue and fundraising targets for Launchpad’s multiple social enterprises.
- Work with Launchpad leaders to develop and implement the systems required to develop a strong Launchpad brand.
Developing partnerships and raising funds
- Drive opportunities that prioritize collaboration, community stewardship, and inclusion in all facets of Artscape Daniels Launchpad’s programs and operations.
- Support Artscape and Toronto Artscape Foundation’s Fund Development team.
Administration, Finance and Operations
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer to develop and execute an accurate, financially sustainable annual budget, rooted in social enterprise principles.
- Report on key metrics for Launchpad’s various stakeholders.
- Review and audit current internal processes, amplify current internal operations with the outcome of improved efficiency.
- This change-agent role is a leading influencer for organization-wide management and operational decisions.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, this role regularly interacts with other Directors and Executives.
CANDIDATE PROFILE & PRIORITY CAPACITIES
- People Leadership: People leadership including change management, coaching and
mentorship are essential in this role. High level of emotional intelligence: a strong and
respected leader with a long track record of motivating, inspiring and mentoring staff
- Community Experience: Leadership experience gained in a multi-stakeholder
environment and where success in leveraging a partnership model is in evidence.
Ideally, has played a key role within the social purpose ecosystem. A demonstrated
passion for arts and community.
- Financial/Business/Legal/Management Acumen: Strong financial, management,
planning and execution skills. Able to oversee a wide range of operations and projects,
and skilled at using effective processes to evaluate and advance initiatives, including
financial modelling, and budgeting.
- Change Management: The role will focus on the people side of change during a period
of transformation. It will require strategies and plans to increase trust and engagement
while building organizational resilience. Leading teams through uncertain times
treating it as an opportunity for growth.
- Project Management: Strong leadership skills with the ability to manage both projects
and people. Strong organizational and project management skills and knowledge of
project management software and systems.
- Strategic: A big-picture, long-term thinker; able to lead a major department within an
organization to help set and achieve its vision, goals and objectives. An intrapreneur at
heart, with the unique ability to align the interests of a diverse group of stakeholders
with differing objectives and competing resources. The ability to formulate creative
solutions to complex scenarios.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or demonstrated related experience
- At least 5 years’ leadership experience in a senior management role, ideally in a large
social purpose organization, with at least 3 years’ experience leading and managing a
team of full-time and part-time employees
- Experience running or practical knowledge of the challenges and opportunities
inherent in social enterprise businesses and/or start up environments
- Experience creating experiences and building community in a shared space
environments such as co-working and/or collaboration spaces is considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience of non-profit and charitable sector governance, legislation
and best practice is considered an asset
This is a full time position based in Toronto, ON. Artscape values its people and recognizes the importance of the contributors who work here. Competitive compensation package is included, commensurate with experience.
Full time hours of work may include evenings and weekends. Some local travel is required for meetings outside of Artscape. There can be opportunities for speaking engagements outside of the Greater Toronto area that would require occasional travel.
How to Apply: To apply, please merge your cover letter and resume into one PDF and:
- send to: email@example.com
- use the subject header: Managing Director Launchpad – CL
Applications will be accepted until 5pm, Friday Aug 14th 2020. Please be sure to include a cover letter that speaks to your experience, but we also want to get a glimpse of your personality. Don’t be generic, be yourself.
Accessibility: In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Diversity & Inclusion statement: Artscape is intentional in creating spaces that are inclusive and showcase creativity. Our community reflects this intention, as we welcome people from all experiences, inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, race, Indigenous status, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, caregiver status, housing status, place of origin, age, and all other statuses protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code.