Job Title: Director, Marketing and Communications
Position Type: Permanent, Full Time
Department: Marketing & Communications
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: HQ – Headquarters
Anticipated Start Date: September 16, 2020
Application Deadline: August 21, 2020
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighborhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development. For more information please visit www.artscape.ca.
The Director of Marketing & Communications plays a key role in building Artscape’s brand, managing relationships with multiple stakeholders and helping the organization meet its sales targets. They will be responsible for the design, oversight and direction of all of Artscape’s marketing strategies, communications, and Public relations activities, both external and internal.
The Director of Marketing & Communications needs to be a strong leader and team player, as they are responsible for several direct reports and working across departments in Artscape. They need to be able to tie all marketing and communication activity back to Artscape’s brand, core values and our current strategic plan (Artscape 5.0).
- Identify opportunities to build Artscape’s profile and engage internal and external stakeholders in its vision and strategic priorities
- Own Artscape’s communications strategy: weigh risks against potential outcomes when priorities shift and lead through complex issues with diverse constituencies , including mass media and social media
- As the business unit leader of all internal/external communication strategies, resources, production and marketing materials, oversee the planning, priorities and budgets related to marketing and communications to maximize revenue and cost savings
- Set, guide and evaluate a corporate marketing and communications strategy that aligns with Artscape’s strategic plan and brand evolution ensuring consistency across all Artscape projects, hubs, assets and marketing channels
- Lead the planning and implementation of marketing and communications strategies in collaboration with the Senior Leadership team and external stakeholders related to:
- Condominium sales, commercial and residential unit rentals, consulting services and other social enterprises operated by Artscape
- Special event fundraising
- Artscape programs and events
- Artscape knowledge sharing programs and services
- Create and steer the delivery of a digital strategy that strengthens the brand and ensures Artscape is optimizing its use of digital technology and social media
- Develop, evaluate and lead the implementation of policies, protocols and procedures to manage Artscape’s reputation with external parties, including media
- Create an environment grounded in collaboration, innovation and communication that develops the skills of team members and allows them to thrive
- Serve as first point of contact for external public relations issues
- Be an effective spokesperson and organizational lead; present and articulate Artscape’s impact and its projects, programs and services; and manage complex relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders on a variety of issues
- Actively participate with the Senior Leadership team on projects to provide advice and make recommendations/actions to the Executive team as a subject matter expert on communications, marketing and public relations
- A minimum of 5-7 years of brand strategy (brand governance, brand evolution, etc.) experience with evidence of increasing responsibility
- Deep knowledge of the digital space, digital strategies, solutions and trends with demonstrated skills planning and leading the successful delivery of digital projects
- Exceptional design vision and knowledge of contemporary design principles with the ability to communicate that vision to those executing design communications, be they internal or external
- Strong analytical, influence and negotiation skills with experience leading change and establishing clear goals/direction for corporate and brand communications
- Experience demonstrating financial responsibility by effectively managing budgets, achieving revenue targets and maximizing cost savings
- A team leader who models and enables collaboration across the organization, builds positive and productive rapport with colleagues at all levels of the organization and develops the skills of team members
- Storytelling skills to weave Artscape’s stories into a coherent narrative that communicates its impact are desirable
- Comfortable with a collaborative organizational culture and working with a small but powerful team
- Outstanding listening and consultative skills
- Strong abilities to build consensus around strategic directions
Join Our Team!
We love creatives and creativity!
Join our team and be part of an organization that positively transforms the community through co-creation. Artscape is an urban development organization and global leader in creative placemaking. We have community cultural hubs throughout Toronto. The core of our work focuses on developing real estate projects, programs and services to empower artists and connect them to communities. As a not-for-profit organization based in Toronto since 1986, we collaborate with artists, community leaders, public policy advocates, philanthropists and urban developers, so that our work builds value for everybody. As a team member, you will contribute to the wide range of work we do for the community.
How to Apply: Email your resume and cover letter with salary expectations in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the Job Title and your name in the Subject line. In your letter, be sure to tell us where you initially saw the job posted. Unfortunately, incomplete applications without salary expectations will not be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please. In some cases, interviews may begin before the job posting closes.
Accessibility: In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Diversity & Inclusion statement: Artscape is intentional in creating spaces that are inclusive and showcase creativity. Our community reflects this intention, as we welcome people from all experiences, inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, race, Indigenous status, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, caregiver status, housing status, place of origin, age, and all other statuses protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code.