Job Title: Member Production Support Specialist
Position Type: Other
Positions Available: 2
Department: Performance & Event Venues & Programming
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Technical Services
Location: ADL – Artscape Daniels Launchpad
Application Deadline: September 29, 2020
Anticipated Start Date: October 5, 2020
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Technical and Services, the Member Production Support Specialist will be a hands-on, detail-oriented individual who can successfully act as a leader, coach and communicator for members in the Digital Media Lab, and thrives in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines.
The Member Production Support Specialist takes a leadership role in the operation of equipment for and the mentoring and training of members and member-based programming, as well as assisting the Technical Services Coordinator with maintaining and servicing the facilitys technical infrastructure as required. Working professionally and displaying superb customer service skills with members, bursary recipients, Artscape staff, outside contractors and other employees. Responsibilities include facilitating the appropriate use of the Studios by members, providing operational and member support for the use of tools and equipment, health and safety, learning programs, ensuring a safe and inclusive environment, and working closely with other ADL departments in support of the membership.
This position is ideal for a highly creative, imaginative candidate with strong technical and artistic knowledge with an interest in and an aptitude for providing practitioner support. To be successful in this role, candidates must have strong interpersonal skills and expertise in one or more of the following areas: photography, sound recording, VFX and film production, or film or audio editing. A general understanding of all of these areas is considered an asset.
This position will require moving and lifting of raw materials and equipment up to 50 pounds. This position also requires the willingness to work evenings and weekends when requested.
- Assist with the maintenance, storage, and cleaning of Photography, Sound Recording, VFX/video production, editing/post-production tools, equipment, and studios
- Work with members to provide practical instructional support for the use safe, efficient and effective use of tools and equipment within the studios. This includes the following:
- Photography: Cameras and video cameras (DSLR, mirrorless, large format), lenses, lighting (LED, Strobe, Chimera, softboxes, bounces, light meter), backdrops, tripods, mics, and sound mixing/monitoring
- Sound Recording: mics, cabling, stands, A/D interfaces, mixing boards, patch bays, outboard/software compressors, filters, EQs, plugins, time code generator, monitors, cue headphone monitoring, mac/PCs, data management, recording software (Pro Tools, Logic), and instrument backline (drums, guitar/bass amps, keyboards)
- VFX Studio: video switchers, mixing boards, mics, lighting (LED, Strobe, Chimera, softboxes, Fresnel lenses, cycloramas, Kino, barn doors, bounces, light meter), SSD recorders, routers, patch bays, ISO recording, time code sync gen, video cameras (broadcast, mirrorless, DSLR), monitors, headphones, mac/PCs, data management, recording software (Pro Tools, Logic, FCPX), and AR/VR development kits
- Edit Suites: monitors, mixers, headphones, mics, A/D interfaces, mac/PCs, data management, and recording software (Pro Tools, Logic, FCPX, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Ensuring adherence to the Ontario Fire Code, Ontario Building code and other Artscape policies, protocols and procedures
- Works closely with Launchpad Learning to contribute to the development of technical training of the equipment and studio functionality.
- Assist the Technical Services Coordinator in keeping an up-to-date inventory of all materials and equipment within the Studios.
- Help monitor member capacity in the Studios and update booking systems, making suggestions for process efficiencies and optimizing studio time for members across studio disciplines.
- Support the Technical Services Coordinator as a point of contact for member inquiries regarding bookings and technical issues in the studios.
- Maintain a respectful and mindful studio culture in shared spaces that emphasize best practices, professionalism, proper stewardship of equipment and resources
- Works closely with other members of the APEV team to contribute to continuous improvement by sharing knowledge and providing suggestions for improvements to tools and resources
- Participate in professional training & development initiatives in order to stay current on traditional and digital equipment, tools, materials, and processes
- Assists in the training and onboarding of colleagues interacting with the Digital Media Lab.
- Positively models and exemplifies the Artscape values of Creativity, Integrity, Community, Collaboration and Learning
- Other duties as assigned, which also includes committee and task group work as assigned, as part of the job
- 2-4 years of practical experience as a studio technician in photography, sound recording, VFX/ video production, post-production studio spaces, and/or an equivalent combination of professional experience and training
- Must possess strong knowledge of art, design, creative studio production, and experience in various technical studio needs
- Must maintain a high level of expertise, knowledge, skills, and expertise, in the tools, equipment, and processes used in both sound recording and VFX/video production studios, with an aptitude and willingness to quickly learn the skills necessary to effectively serve as a technician for a photography studio and post-production edit suites
- Comfortable juggling multiple and/or conflicting priorities, and a rigorous and empathetic communicator, collaborator, and troubleshooter
- Experience using software, and digital design tools associated with the sound recording, VFX/ video production, photography, post-production industries, such as Pro Tools, Logic, FCPX, Capture One, plugins, amp modelling, and Adobe Suite, as well as strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Fluent in verbal and written English, with knowledge of a second language considered an asset
- Strong ability to assist members working in an interdisciplinary manner from concept to fabrication
- Experience with digital fabrication technologies related to art and design practice, and general electronics experience
- Proven experience and commitment to customer service in facilities with high volume use, as well as highly organized, with clear written and verbal communication
- Experience in and commitment to fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment supporting a diverse range of practices and backgrounds
- Proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training, and aesthetic sensibilities in a creative environment
Join Our Team!
We love creatives and creativity!
Join our team and be part of an organization that positively transforms the community through co-creation. Artscape is an urban development organization and global leader in creative placemaking. We have community cultural hubs throughout Toronto. The core of our work focuses on developing real estate projects, programs and services to empower artists and connect them to communities. As a not-for-profit organization based in Toronto since 1986, we collaborate with artists, community leaders, public policy advocates, philanthropists and urban developers, so that our work builds value for everybody. As a team member, you will contribute to the wide range of work we do for the community.
Artscape is dedicated to hiring employees who reflect the diverse communities we serve in Toronto.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com. Indicate the Job Title and your name in the Subject line. In your letter, be sure to tell us where you initially saw the job posted. Unfortunately, incomplete applications without cover letters will not be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please. In some cases, interviews may begin before the job posting closes.
Accessibility: In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Diversity & Inclusion statement: Artscape is intentional in creating spaces that are inclusive and showcase creativity. Our community reflects this intention, as we welcome people from all experiences, inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, race, Indigenous status, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, caregiver status, housing status, place of origin, age, and all other statuses protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code.