Job Title: Studio Technician – Textiles & Fashion, Fine Metals & Jewellery (ADL)
Position Type: Casually/ Hourly
Department: Artscape Daniels Launchpad
Reporting to: Manager, Creative Studios
Location: ADL – Artscape Daniels Launchpad
Anticipated Start Date: December 2, 2020
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighborhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development. For more information please visit www.artscape.ca.
The studio technician is responsible for the safe, efficient, and effective functioning of the Textiles & Fashion, Fine Metals & Jewellery Studios, based upon established Artscape standard operating procedures (SOP). Responsibilities include appropriate use of the studios by members, provision of operational and member support for the creative use of tools and equipment in adherence with health and safety protocols. They will support the execution of samples and products, and facilitate creative learning pathways to other Artscape Daniels Launchpad (ADL) studios and services. The studio technician will contribute extensively to the design and delivery of specialist creative and technical learning programs, and ensure a safe and inclusive environment in which members can work together This position is ideal for a highly creative, imaginative candidate with strong technical and creative knowledge and interpersonal skills, who can be flexible and multi task. You will have an enthusiasm for, interest in, and aptitude for providing both operational and practitioner support. To be successful in this role, you will need an expert understanding and command of art and design processes pertaining to the Textiles/Fashion & Fine Metals/Jewellery disciplines and be a specialist in one of these studios with a focused area of interest driven by your own personal art/craft/maker practice. The ideal candidate will have significant experience with silk screen printing and fabric dye techniques.
- Fully understand, and help communicate to members and staff, Health and Safety standards and protocols, appropriately tracking necessary documents and processes for both members and staff (adhering to JOHSC compliance).
- Contribute to the development of specialist curriculums for the studio technical programs, and based on these curriculums, provide specialist teaching and technical evaluation of members on the safe, efficient, and effective use of tools and equipment within the Studios.
- Help facilitate the delivery of member creative projects by providing effective instructional support for use of tools and equipment within the designated studios to ensure appropriate use of the studios by members.
- A strong knowledge of art, design, creative studio production, and experience in various technical studio needs is essential.
- A flexible attitude, comfortable juggling multiple and/or conflicting priorities, and a rigorous and empathetic communicator, collaborator, and troubleshooter.
- Strong ability to assist members working in an interdisciplinary manner from concept to fabrication.
- Must possess a high level of experience, knowledge, skills, and expertise, in the tools, equipment, and processes used Textiles & Fashion, with an aptitude and willingness to quickly learn the skills necessary to effectively serve as a technician in both studios.
- Significant experience and confidence with all aspects of fabric printing and fabric dye techniques is essential.
- An understanding and interest in the research and work necessary to create more sustainable practices in this field, including familiarity with wide range of materials.
- Fluent in verbal and written English, with knowledge of a second language considered an asset.
- Proven experience and commitment to customer service in facilities with high volume use.
- An interest in and ability to contribute to the development of technical curriculums and deliver instructional workshops to small groups in the studio setting.
Join Our Team!
We love creatives and creativity!
Join our team and be part of an organization that positively transforms the community through co-creation. Artscape is an urban development organization and global leader in creative placemaking. We have community cultural hubs throughout Toronto. The core of our work focuses on developing real estate projects, programs and services to empower artists and connect them to communities. As a not-for-profit organization based in Toronto since 1986, we collaborate with artists, community leaders, public policy advocates, philanthropists and urban developers, so that our work builds value for everybody. As a team member, you will contribute to the wide range of work we do for the community.
Artscape is dedicated to hiring employees who reflect the diverse communities we serve in Toronto.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the Job Title and your name in the Subject line. In your letter, be sure to tell us where you initially saw the job posted. Unfortunately, incomplete applications without cover letters will not be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please. In some cases, interviews may begin before the job posting closes.
Accessibility: In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Diversity & Inclusion statement: Artscape is intentional in creating spaces that are inclusive and showcase creativity. Our community reflects this intention, as we welcome people from all experiences, inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, race, Indigenous status, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, caregiver status, housing status, place of origin, age, and all other statuses protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code.