Job Title: Director, Event Sales & Operations
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Department: Performance & Event Venues
Reporting to: Interim Chief Operating Officer
Application Deadline: June 21, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: June 28, 2021
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighborhood aspirations and philanthropic missions.
Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and delivering programs and services that promote creativity and cultural space development. For more information please visit www.artscape.ca.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director, Event Sales & Operations is responsible for Artscape’s social enterprise event business in these four priority areas:
- Overseeing day-to-day tasks of the customer service team ensuring daily responsibilities are met;
Leading the development and execution of a sales & marketing strategy for the event business, identifying and connecting with new prospects to achieve sales targets across the portfolio;
- Maintaining exceptional standards of customer service in event production, including A/V, sound, visual, electronic, lighting and other related technical equipment and venue logistics;
- Lead a team of front of house, client management and technical staff at multiple Artscape venues including Daniels Spectrum, Artscape Wychwood Barns, Artscape Gibraltar Point, Artscape Sandbox and Artscape Weston Common.
The Director, Event Sales & Operations will support Artscape’s key strategic goals to strengthen our social enterprise and serve more people and communities by providing excellent customer service and team leadership for the Artscape Performance & Event Venues team.
Direct reports: Sales and events-based staff including full-time Assistant Managers, Coordinators and part-time union/non-union technical staff
Indirect Staff: Part-time event staff including front of house Venue Supervisors and Venue Support Staff
Note: This list of responsibilities is not comprehensive and the employee may be asked to perform tasks not listed here from time to time. These additional tasks are considered part of the employee’s responsibilities and the employee cannot decline these tasks without valid reasoning acceptable to the organization.
- With a thorough understanding of the industry and competitive landscape, leverages sales data to identify new prospects, ideas and opportunities to expand customer base across Artscape’s event venues
- Negotiates client pricing and fee adjustments with an understanding of the impact on APEV’s overall budget; Sets revenue targets and oversees accounts receivables
- Proactively recommends improvements to sales procedures and best practices which address organizational challenges, increasing efficiency and profitability
- Responsible for ensuring the APEV sales and customer service policies and procedures are updated on an ongoing basis
- Provide cross-hub support to colleagues regarding day-to-day customer service and review salesforce to ensure lead response times and service levels are being met
- Proactively seek out and connect with potential clients; conduct canvassing and cold calls to increase prospects; respond to inquiries with a focus on exceeding customer expectations
- Identify new, innovative income generation and sponsorship opportunities that support Artscape’s mandate and leverage social enterprise status and recommends qualified opportunities
- Demonstrates knowledge as a product expert on all Artscape venues and initiatives in order to respond to customer inquiries with relevant, valuable information and to provide training in specific functional areas to the APEV customer service team.
- Represents Artscape at tradeshows and networking events to champion Artscape event venues to increase brand recognition and identify new prospects
- Liaise with sponsors, frequent clients and vendors with the goal of building long-term, mutually beneficial relationships
- Acts as the first point of escalation for customers and the customer service team, provides guidance on issue management and escalates issues in a time sensitive manner
- Drive equity, diversity and inclusion by expanding opportunities for diverse clients and events targeted towards under-represented communities
- Support the achievement of sales targets through the implementation of venue marketing and sales initiatives for existing and potential clients
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Communication team, researches and evaluates marketing opportunities and makes recommendations for marketing activities in the annual marketing plan
- Communicates effectively with Hubs and shared services departments to ensure organizational awareness of APEV activities, to collaborate on cross-departmental projects and partnerships and to ensure that APEV marketing is in line with Artscape’s vision and brand
- In collaboration with the Marketing and Communications team, support the creation of social media content and deploy a variety of revenue-generating and profile-raising campaigns
- Draft, edit, proofread and fact-check copy for websites, social media and print; generate new ideas based upon trends and performance analysis of previously posted content to align with Artscape brand guidelines/style guide.
- Identify story-telling opportunities and work with the Marketing and Communications team to develop blog content and update web content, as necessary
- Works within the parameters of the marketing budget, tracks campaign expenditures, completes purchase orders, monitors expenses and flags potential budgetary concerns.
- Analyze data and report on the results of marketing, advertising and social media campaigns.
- Responsible for the day to day management of event logistics and technical operations
- Sets objectives for venue team to ensure top-notch customer service and a superior event experience
- Creates staffing schedules in line with budgetary resources, event requirements and staff availability; achieves budgetary targets through efficient and cost-effective management of event staffing and equipment
- Day to day management of APEV audio-visual and event equipment infrastructure, providing expertise and oversight of special orders for major events seeking out efficient methods for optimal use of resources
- Works closely with Director, Technology Operations to support capital planning for technical infrastructure
- As a member of the collective bargaining committee, makes recommendations for bargaining during labour negotiation; implements and manages the staff and collective agreements between I.A.T.S.E. and Artscape unionized venues to ensure Artscape operates in compliance with agreements
- Receives escalated customer service issues regarding on site and post event issues; mediates heightened conflict situations and provides solutions
- Develops, implements and oversees processes, procedures and policies in relation to the event operations portfolio
- Upholds regulatory and legislative requirements, including Health and Safety, Employment Standards Act, AODA and that staff, clients and users adhere to the Artscape Respect in the Workplace and Human Resources policies to ensure Artscape venues are compliant
- Approves budget expenses, payments and invoices as per Artscape’s finance and procurement policies
- Works closely with Technology Operations to maintain APEV CRM configuration and prioritize upgrades and change requests
- Fulfills the mandate for community access to event spaces by building strong, equitable and positive relationships in the communities that Artscape serves
- Supervises the customer service team’s day-to-day activities ensuring daily responsibilities are accomplished by employees; delegating tasks, reviewing and assigning leads, answering employee questions and resolving issues.
- Executes required annual deliverable related to performance management of the team and guide professional development to ensure service levels are continually met
- Provides expertise to other Artscape departments on ad-hoc projects
- Showcases people leader responsibilities consistently, mainly team management, performance management, conflict resolution, delegation of tasks, training and mentoring
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience managing sales and operations of a performing arts or event venue with multiple client types
- Experienced in venue marketing with demonstrated track record in supporting sales goals, public relations, social media planning and evaluation of campaigns and initiatives
- A passion for Artscape’s mission and values to create space for creativity and transform communities.
- Committed and interested in working with a diversity of customers and partners ranging from grassroots arts organizations to professional event producers and corporate clients
- Working knowledge of production practices for theatre, music, dance, and other entertainment or corporate events, including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management techniques; appropriate safety precautions and procedures
- Working knowledge of front of house operations and event logistics in a high volume, fast paced venue
- Proven experience in creating high performing teams: scheduling, supervising, motivating, providing feedback, conducting performance reviews, etc.
- Demonstration of excellent customer services skills and sound judgment in decision making
- Working knowledge of scheduling practices and requirements of arts-sector collective agreements (including experience in IATSE certified venues and with the Canadian Theatre Agreement, etc.)
- Advanced skill level with software supporting lighting and sound systems, digital screens etc.
- Experience with Salesforce is an asset.
- Aerial Lift Certification and Working at Heights Certification and First Aid
- Strong ability to connect with community stakeholders to establish positive and productive ongoing relationships
- Effective collaboration, negotiation, advanced conflict management and resolution skills
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills that inspire trust
- A commitment to quality, ability to meet tight deadlines, and a willingness to work in team environment
- Ability to work occasional weekend or evening hours
Join Our Team!
We love creatives and creativity!
Join our team and be part of an organization that positively transforms the community through co-creation. Artscape is an urban development organization and global leader in creative placemaking. We have community cultural hubs throughout Toronto. The core of our work focuses on developing real estate projects, programs and services to empower artists and connect them to communities. As a not-for-profit organization based in Toronto since 1986, we collaborate with artists, community leaders, public policy advocates, philanthropists and urban developers, so that our work builds value for everybody. As a team member, you will contribute to the wide range of work we do for the community.
Artscape is dedicated to hiring employees who reflect the diverse communities we serve in Toronto.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com. Indicate the Job Title and your name in the Subject line. In your letter, be sure to tell us where you initially saw the job posted. Unfortunately, incomplete applications without cover letters will not be considered. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applications we receive, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls, please. In some cases, interviews may begin before the job posting closes.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape. For more information, please see our Accessible Customer Service policy.
Artscape’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
We will hold ourselves and each other accountable through word and action with the assurance that every member of the Artscape community be treated equitably, with dignity and respect. As an employer, as staff, as leaders and community members, we will act in an inclusive manner at all times and with mutual respect of individuals’ rights to be understood and heard.
We believe equity, diversity and inclusion creates a culture that embraces the uniqueness of individuals and is representative of the Canadian population and are resolute in cultivating an environment where all people are respected and their differences are embraced.
We do not condone or tolerate behaviour that undermines the dignity of any individual. Expressions of hate such as intimidation, harassment, offensiveness or hostility will not be tolerated.
We stand firm in our commitment to the erasure of and fight against all forms of discrimination and harassment, including but not limited to: Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, xenophobia, sexism, anti-Black racism, classism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, ageism and anti-indigenous rhetoric and remarks.
We further commit to the creation and enforcement of open and inclusive spaces, free of hate and all forms of oppression.
We will support the growth, awareness and understanding of our most marginalized and racialized communities and will promote and encourage open dialogue that does not infringe of the rights of others or cause harm.