- This event has passed.
Artscape Youngplace Community Celebration: 100 Years of Creativity
September 7, 2014 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
The historic Shaw Street School is 100 years old and Artscape Youngplace is throwing a community birthday party on Sunday, September 7 to mark the occasion! Join us for 100 Years of Creativity, presented by Catherine Gordon RE/MAX Hallmark Realty Ltd, as we pay tribute to the history of this reborn building and look forward to another century of artistic growth and inspiration at Artscape Youngplace with an afternoon of drop-in art activities, cupcake decorating, guided tours, tasty treats and more.
All proceeds from the event will go towards supporting future community initiatives and events at Artscape Youngplace. Admission is free; activities and food are ticketed ($2 for one, $10 for six, $20 for twenty).
From 1:00 to 4:00 pm, the event will feature an array of hands on art workshops, including:
- Graven Feather’s Art on the Dot: design and contribute your own piece to an interactive outdoor art installation
- Try your hand at silk screening with expert designer Kingi Carpenter of Peach Berserk: use the materials provided or bring along a wearable to create the ultimate custom fashion statement
- Pick up a paint brush and get creative with our Freestyle Paint Party with Paintlounge & Above Ground Art Supplies
- Make an apple or chalkboard mosaic with Mosaicworks just in time for back to school season
- Experiment with paper sculpture and contribute to the new Givins-Shaw School garden fence with Paperhouse Studio
- Artsy manicures are all the rage: don’t miss this chance to get a fantastic set of artful nails from our friends from Pinky’s Nail Art and Wow Wow Nails
- Transform your face into a masterpiece with face painting by visual artists Ginette Lapalme and Alicia Nauta, two local artistswho will be creating new artistic projects for Artscape Youngplace this fall
- Compete for neighbourhood-wide fame and glory in our Cupcake Decorating Contest: bring your best cupcake in the theme “100 Years of Creativity” or decorate one on site with experts from Le Dolci Bakery. For entry details, email AYP@torontoartscape.on.ca
For the fuzzier members of your family, Unleashed in the City + Follow the Leader are hosting a Back to School Pet Party featuring a D.I.Y. bandana-making station, dog training activities and a photobooth to capture the moment. Don’t have a pup? Tenacity the Bulldog, the Givins/Shaw Mascot, will be happy to pose for a photo.
After flexing your creative muscles, enjoy an array of tasty treats including delicious street food from Localista, gourmet popsicles from Philip’s Ice Pops, a Creative Lemonade Stand by Youngplace Coffee Pub and Metro, or stop by the Lucky Penny General Store for snacks and ice cream.
Wander through the hallways of the old school and be invited into Open Studios hosted by the artists and organizations of Artscape Youngplace. Be sure to check out Viewpoints, a visual art exhibition that spans three floors and features twelve artists of distinction from the upcomingQueen West Art Crawl. Guided tours of the building depart at 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm and 3:30 pm.
Community Sponsor: Catherine Gordon RE/MAX Hallmark Realty Ltd.
Event Partners: Above Ground Art Supplies, Stacey Boag, Central Canada Bulldog Club, Follow the Leader, Graven Feather, Home Depot, Sara Howie, Ginette Lapalme, Le Dolci Bakery, Localista, Lucky Penny General Store, Metro, Mosaicworks, Alicia Nauta, Pacha Balloon Creations, Paintlounge, Paperhouse Studio, Peach Berserk, Pinky’s Nail Art, Philip’s Ice Pops, Unleashed in the City, Wow Wow Nails, Aaron Youngand Youngplace Coffee Pub.