This multi-purpose property occupies two heritage structures and provides space for artists working in many disciplines including sculpture, woodworking, metalsmithing, opera, dance, painting, theatre, fashion, multi-disciplinary arts and more. This facility was one of the first to populate this historic industrial area, and the presence of the Artscape Distillery Studios tenants helped to spur the broader effort to regenerate what is now the Historic Distillery District.
Opened: May 8, 2003
Pre-occupancy (development) cost: $3 million
Former site: The Case Goods Warehouse (built 1928) and the Cannery Building
Affordability model: Below-market rental (commercial)
Building Ownership Detail: Privately owned; operated by Artscape under a 20-year lease
Area (square feet): 50,000
Spaces included: 10 retail studios, 20 office spaces, 3 rehearsal/performance spaces and 27 artist work studios (60 overall)
Tenants: See the Historic Distillery District website
Building accessibility: All floors can be accessed by wheelchair; washrooms and signage not fully accessible
Developer: Cityscape Development Corporation
Design: Zeidler Grinnell Partnership Architects
Artscape used to run a bookstore located within the retail studios on the first floor of the Artscape Distillery Studios!